my timesThe Korea Times

South Korea

PoliticsDefenseGlobal CommunityEnvironment & AnimalsLaw & CrimeHealthSocietyEducationOthers
  • South Korea

    S. Korea, US wrap up drills early, day after NK missile barrage

    SEOUL — The U.S. and South Korean militaries wrapped up their annual drill on Friday, six days earlier than initially scheduled, in a conciliatory gesture toward North Korea, though Pyongyang said the step isn't enough to persuade it to return to talks. U.S. President Donald Trump had earlier abruptly ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” the Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercise just before it began Monday. Trump cited what he described as a good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and South Korea’s refusal to support him over the war in Iran. South Korea's military said the UFS, a command post exercise with the U.S., ended on Friday. This month's exercise was initially reportedly scheduled to be held in two phases for 11 days in simulation of North Korean attacks — the first part until Friday on defensive operations and the second part until Aug. 27 on counteroffensive operations. North Korea is extremely sensitive to the second phase. South Korea and the U.S. had also planned to hold 14 joint field training exercises during the UFS period. But they've ag

    3 MIN READBy AP
    S. Korea, US wrap up drills early, day after NK missile barrage
  • South Korea

    Which day is best for flight booking? Travel expert shares tips for finding cheaper airfares

    3 MIN READBy Hankookilbo
    Which day is best for flight booking? Travel expert shares tips for finding cheaper airfares
  • Politics

    Lee to host all ruling party lawmakers for luncheon next week

    1 MIN READBy Yonhap
    Lee to host all ruling party lawmakers for luncheon next week
  • South Korea

    How did ex-civil servant transition to YouTuber on car-related content?

    6 MIN READBy Hankookilbo
    How did ex-civil servant transition to YouTuber on car-related content?
  • South Korea

    Choi Si-won stops tourist from smoking in front of Gyeongbok Palace

    2 MIN READBy Hankookilbo
    Choi Si-won stops tourist from smoking in front of Gyeongbok Palace
Korea Times
About Us
Introduction
History
Contact Us
Products & Services
Subscribe
E-paper
RSS Service
Content Sales
Site Map
Policy
Code of Ethics
Ombudsman
Privacy Policy
Youth Protection Policy
Terms of Service
Copyright Policy
Family Site
Hankookilbo
Dongwha Group
FacebookXYoutubeInstagram
CEO & Publisher: Oh Young-jinDigital News Email: webmaster@koreatimes.co.krTel: 02-724-2114Online newspaper registration No: 서울,아52844Date of registration: 2020.02.05Masthead: The Korea TimesCopyright © koreatimes.co.kr. All rights reserved.

Read more

Law & Crime

Court denies suspension of exit ban against US scholar under probe for defaming Lee

A Seoul court on Thursday rejected a request for a suspension of an exit ban against Morse Tan, a Korean American scholar accused of defaming President Lee Jae Myung, legal sources said. The Seoul Administrative Court rejected Tan's request to suspend the exit ban, which the justice ministry imposed earlier this week, saying that a potential suspension could have a serious impact on the public interest, according to the sources. Tan is suspected of having defamed Lee by spreading false information about him, claiming during a Washington event last year that Lee had been involved in a murder case during his youth, and that he was sent to a juvenile detention center. The U.S. scholar, affiliated with the U.S.-based Liberty University, is also known for making claims of election fraud in Korea, including his earlier argument that the last presidential election here was rigged. The police investigation into Tan over the defamation allegations had been complicated as he had been in the United States. But he entered Korea last Thursday ahead of the June 3 local elections, saying he would monit

Jun 4, 2026By Yonhap
Court denies suspension of exit ban against US scholar under probe for defaming Lee
Defense

Defense ministry cites OPCON transfer drive as key achievement marking Lee gov't's 1st year

The defense ministry on Thursday cited its consistent push for retaking wartime operational control (OPCON) from Washington as a key policy achievement under the President Lee Jae Myung administration in its first year in office. The ministry said Korea is seeking the OPCON transfer in a "swift" manner at a time when the allies are currently at the second stage of verifying "full operational capability (FOC)" this year. "(The ministry) is pushing for the restoration of wartime operational control in a systematic, stable and consistent manner to establish a combined defense posture led by the Korean military," it said in a release. The allies are in the process of verifying the FOC—the second part of a three-phase program aimed at vetting Seoul's capabilities to lead the allies' combined forces. The program consists of three stages of assessment for the initial operational capability (IOC), the FOC and full mission capability. The IOC phase was completed in 2019. The government also seeks to draw up a roadmap to expedite the OPCON transfer in coordination with Washington ahead of their a

Jun 4, 2026By Yonhap
Defense ministry cites OPCON transfer drive as key achievement marking Lee gov't's 1st year
2026 local elections

Progressives sweep education superintendent races

Progressive candidates dominated the education superintendent races, which were part of Wednesday's local elections, tilting the balance of power among the country's education chiefs in their favor. In Seoul, incumbent superintendent Jung Geun-sik was reelected in a crowded race among eight candidates, along with other progressive incumbents in Incheon and Busan. Busan winner Kim Seok-jun secured a fourth consecutive term, claiming a record tenure in the country. Gyeonggi Province saw progressive candidate Ahn Min-seok swoop in to take office. Progressives now hold 10 of 16 superintendent positions for the next four years. Conservatives won races in six constituencies including conservative strongholds Daegu, North and South Gyeongsang Provinces, as well as Sejong, Daejeon and North Chungcheong. Daegu winner Kang Eun-hee has become the city’s first female superintendent, clinching her third consecutive term. Sejong winner Kang Mi-ae also became the city’s first female education chief. The overall outcome has shifted the country’s demography of education chiefs toward progressives,

Jun 4, 2026By Ko Dong-hwan
Progressives sweep education superintendent races
2026 local elections

Seoul Mayor Oh defies exit poll to win reelection

In a stunning political turnaround, incumbent Seoul Mayor Oh Se-hoon secured his reelection in Wednesday's vote, overcoming an early exit poll projection that had forecast a loss to his liberal rival Chong Won-o. According to the National Election Commission (NEC) Thursday, as of 9 p.m., with 99.93 percent of the votes counted, Oh of the main opposition People Power Party (PPP) obtained 49.19 percent of the vote, defeating Chong of the ruling Democratic Party of Korea (DPK), who garnered 48.09 percent. The formal announcement of the winner has not been made. This came after an exit poll for Wednesday’s local elections released jointly by major broadcasters KBS, MBC and SBS put Chong at 51.4 percent and Oh at 46 percent. During the initial stages of the count, Chong had maintained a comfortable lead. But by around 7:20 a.m. Thursday, some 13 hours after counting started, Oh had steadily erased the deficit to clinch a dramatic come-from-behind win. “This election is a victory for common sense,” Oh said at his campaign office. “It is a victory for young people who, even as they des

Jun 4, 2026By Jung Min-ho
Seoul Mayor Oh defies exit poll to win reelection
Politics

PM calls for expanding communication with newly elected heads of local governments

Prime Minister Kim Min-seok asked the government Thursday to expand communication and work closely with newly elected heads of local governments in order to deliver policy promises and produce tangible results after the ruling Democratic Party of Korea won a resounding victory in Wednesday's elections. Kim made the remark during an economic policy meeting as the DPK was projected to win as many as 12 of the 16 metropolitan mayoral and gubernatorial posts at stake in the local elections, according to ballot counts by the National Election Commission (NEC). "Nationwide local elections took place yesterday, and new officials have been elected to lead local governments for the next four years," Kim said. "We need to expand communication with local governments and check on key projects so that the government's national agenda, regional pledges and major pending issues of local governments can create synergy with one another." Kim said it is time to put policy promises into action, cooperate with local governments and produce tangible outcomes.

Jun 4, 2026By Yonhap
PM calls for expanding communication with newly elected heads of local governments
Politics

Presidential chief of staff, 2 incumbent ministers being considered as next PM: sources

President Lee Jae Myung was in the final stage of selecting a new prime minister, with presidential chief of staff Kang Hoon-sik and two incumbent ministers currently under consideration, sources said Thursday. Lee is highly likely to announce his nominee as soon as this week, who will replace current Prime Minister Kim Min-seok, if appointed, according to the sources. Kim is expected to tender his resignation soon, the ruling bloc sources told Yonhap News Agency, as he may run for the leadership of the ruling Democratic Party of Korea (DPK) at its convention in August or September. Along with the presidential chief of staff, Justice Minister Jung Sung-ho and Han Seong-sook, minister of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), were currently being considered for the post of prime minister, according to the sources. Serving as Lee's chief of staff since his inauguration a year earlier, Kang has also been working as his special envoy for strategic economic cooperation and is well acquainted with the president's diplomatic and economic policies. Justice Minister Jung, a five-term lawmaker,

Jun 4, 2026By Yonhap
Presidential chief of staff, 2 incumbent ministers being considered as next PM: sources
2026 local elections

Ballot shortages undermine public trust in elections

Public trust in election management has plummeted after ballot shortages at polling stations in southern Seoul for Wednesday's local elections forced hundreds of voters to wait for hours past the designated end of voting hours at 6 p.m. The unprecedented situation immediately prompted strong criticism against the National Election Commission (NEC), from both liberal and conservative camps alike, as well as the presidential office. The backlash was especially strong among members of the main opposition People Power Party (PPP), which had higher chances of winning in most of those districts. President Lee Jae Myung on Thursday expressed "very deep regret" over the ballot shortages, calling for a full investigation into the sloppy election management and for those found responsible to be held accountable. "It is hard to accept that such incomprehensible flaws occurred in election management, which must be carried out under the absolutely highest standard in a democratic republic,” Lee said during a Cabinet meeting. “All state institutions are obliged to thoroughly prepare for elections

Jun 4, 2026By Park Ji-won
Ballot shortages undermine public trust in elections
2026 local elections

Ex-Minister Cho Kuk resigns as party leader after failed parliamentary comeback

Cho Kuk, leader of the minor liberal Rebuilding Korea Party (RKP), failed in his bid to return to the National Assembly in a by-election held alongside Wednesday's local elections, dealing a heavy blow to his political career. According to the National Election Commission Thursday, main opposition People Power Party (PPP) candidate Yoo Ui-dong won the by-election for the Pyeongtaek-B constituency in Gyeonggi Province with 34.83 percent of the vote. Ruling Democratic Party of Korea (DPK) candidate Kim Yong-nam came in second with 28.77 percent, while Cho came third with 27.24 percent. Cho conceded defeat at his campaign office around 3 a.m. after Yoo's victory became certain. "The top priority of this election was to realize a 'zero PPP' outcome. While meaningful progress was made nationwide, we failed to fulfill that mandate in Pyeongtaek. The responsibility lies entirely with me," Cho told reporters. Later that day, he announced his resignation as party leader, saying he would take responsibility for the election defeat. "I may be stepping aside, but I hope our party members will continue

Jun 4, 2026By Lee Hyo-jin
Ex-Minister Cho Kuk resigns as party leader after failed parliamentary comeback
2026 local elections

Election watchdog says ballot shortage not cause for postponing election

The election watchdog said Thursday a shortage of ballots in parts of Seoul during the June 3 local elections does not constitute grounds for postponing the election or conducting a revote under the election law. The National Election Commission (NEC) made the remarks after holding an emergency meeting early Thursday, as a shortage of ballots at some polling stations in Seoul, mostly from Songpa Ward, prompted the temporary suspension of voting in the local elections. The main opposition People Power Party (PPP) strongly protested the incident, calling for halting vote counting and holding a reelection. The NEC determined the shortage did not fall under the causes for postponing an election or carrying out a reelection under the Public Official Election Act, adding that it would be impossible to halt vote counting.

Jun 4, 2026By Yonhap
Election watchdog says ballot shortage not cause for postponing election
2026 local elections

DPK takes 17 of Seoul's 25 districts, reversing PPP majority

The Democratic Party of Korea (DPK) was expected to win 17 of Seoul's 25 districts, reversing the People Power Party's (PPP) majority sweep in the 2022 local elections. On Thursday, DPK candidates had secured 17 districts, including Jongno and Dongdaemun. The PPP had won eight, including Yongsan and Gangnam. Songpa District, where multiple polling stations ran short of ballots on Wednesday, was still counting as of Thursday morning, but the PPP candidate was expected to win. The outcome marks a reversal of the 2022 local elections, when the PPP won 17 districts to the DPK's eight. Analysts partly attributed the results to voters prioritizing government stability over checking a new administration, as the previous vote was held just 22 days after former President Yoon Suk Yeol took office. In 2018, the DPK swept all but Seocho District in the district chief races, even prevailing in traditionally conservative Gangnam. The then-ruling party rode a favorable political climate partly driven by inter-Korean and U.S.-North Korea summit diplomacy. 2 women elected Two of the 25 elected district ch

Jun 4, 2026By Park Ung
DPK takes 17 of Seoul's 25 districts, reversing PPP majority
previous page
149150151152153
next page

Most Read in South Korea