my timesThe Korea Times
South KoreaSociety

Society

Korea Times
About Us
Introduction
History
Contact Us
Products & Services
Subscribe
E-paper
RSS Service
Content Sales
Site Map
Policy
Code of Ethics
Ombudsman
Privacy Policy
Youth Protection Policy
Terms of Service
Copyright Policy
Family Site
Hankookilbo
Dongwha Group
FacebookXYoutubeInstagram
CEO & Publisher: Oh Young-jinDigital News Email: webmaster@koreatimes.co.krTel: 02-724-2114Online newspaper registration No: 서울,아52844Date of registration: 2020.02.05Masthead: The Korea TimesCopyright © koreatimes.co.kr. All rights reserved.

Over 27 mil. Koreans expected to travel nationwide during Lunar New Year holiday

Over 27 million people are expected to travel across Korea during the upcoming Lunar New Year holiday, according to the transport ministry Tuesday. The ministry said it estimates 27.8 million people will travel during the six-day period from Friday to next Wednesday, which has been designated as a special transportation period during which comprehensive traffic management and safety measures will be implemented. According to the ministry, daily average traffic during the holiday period is expected to reach 8.34 million trips. The estimated total number of travelers represents a 13.3 percent decline from last year due to the shorter holiday period, but the daily average traffic projection is 9.3 percent higher, also due to the shortened period. To accommodate the surge in travel, the government will strengthen traffic congestion management, enhance safety controls and increase public transportation services nationwide during the period. The ministry added that additional measures, including expressway toll exemptions and expanded rest area operations, will be introduced to support smooth a

Feb 10, 2026By Yonhap
Over 27 mil. Koreans expected to travel nationwide during Lunar New Year holiday

Gov't weighs tiered electricity pricing to reverse business clustering around capital

The Ministry of Climate, Energy and Environment plans to roll out electricity pricing that varies by region in an effort to encourage companies to relocate outside the Seoul metropolitan area, in line with the Lee Jae Myung administration’s broader push for balanced national development. Climate minister Kim Sung-whan said Monday that the government is reviewing a regional electricity rate system that would make operating costs more attractive in areas closer to power supply clusters, creating financial incentives for businesses to expand into provincial regions. “The move is aimed at addressing the long-standing concentration of companies in the capital area, where firms tend to cluster to access talent and infrastructure,” Kim said. Although electricity pricing reform must proceed cautiously due to Korea’s historically integrated national grid, which complicates region-specific cost calculations, Kim emphasized that the initiative is ultimately intended to reshape the country’s industrial landscape rather than merely adjust rates. The president previously floated the idea dur

Feb 10, 2026By Jung Da-hyun
Gov't weighs tiered electricity pricing to reverse business clustering around capital

InterviewKorea to speed up path to permanent residency for STEM students

Korea is stepping up efforts to encourage the long-term settlement of international students, placing special emphasis on those in science and technology fields seen as critical to the country’s innovation and economic growth. Facing a demographic crisis and shifting industrial demands, Korea is increasingly viewing international students as a vital source of its future workforce. “Designing visa systems that enable international students to voluntarily contribute to areas where our society needs experts is a core policy priority,” said Lee Hyang-sook, director of the Residence and VISA Division at the Ministry of Justice in a written interview with The Korea Times. “In line with this policy direction, the ministry is working with universities to more tightly connect study-to-settlement pathways for international students in science and technology fields, while redesigning visa routes that link education and employment to regional and industry demand,” she added. One key change in the effort is a revamp of the Korea Science and Technology Advanced Human Resources Visa Track —

Feb 10, 2026By Jung Da-hyun
Korea to speed up path to permanent residency for STEM students

Fire at oil storage facility in Gyeongsan contained; no casualties

Fire authorities on Tuesday contained a blaze that broke out at an oil storage facility in a southeastern city, with no immediate reports of casualties, city officials said. Firefighters suppressed the flames that began at 7:47 a.m. with an explosion from a cover of an oil storage tank at the Daehan Oil Pipeline facility in Gyeongsan, North Gyeongsang Province. Authorities responded to the scene after receiving a report of a fire that broke out following an exploding sound. A city official said there were no reports of casualties and described the situation as not dangerous.

Feb 10, 2026By Yonhap
Fire at oil storage facility in Gyeongsan contained; no casualties

Will Korea join global push to restrict teen use of social media?

Korea is cautiously entering the global debate over whether to ban social media platforms for children and teenagers, as countries like Australia and Spain move toward sweeping restrictions on underage users. Around the world, governments are tightening rules for minors online, citing rising concerns over addiction, mental health, cyberbullying and exposure to sexual and violent content. In December, Australia became the first country to bar under-16s from mainstream social media, spurring at least 15 European governments, including France and Spain, to move toward similar restrictions. Asian countries such as India and Malaysia and U.S. states like Florida and Texas are pursuing their own age limits or bans. In contrast, Korea is moving more cautiously. An official at the Korea Media and Communications Commission (KMCC) told local media that there is “no concrete government road map yet” on youth social media regulation, noting that the commission is “closely watching legislative moves overseas, but this is an area that requires broad social consensus.” In the meantime, a bill to

Feb 10, 2026By Lee Hae-rin
Will Korea join global push to restrict teen use of social media?

Outcry grows over Jindo County head’s remarks about importing foreign women

Remarks by Kim Hee-soo, the governor of Jindo County, that Korea should “import unmarried women from places like Sri Lanka or Vietnam” drew condemnation from Vietnamese diplomats and civic groups Monday and led to his expulsion from the ruling Democratic Party of Korea (DPK). Kim made the remarks during a live-streamed town hall meeting last week on a proposed administrative merger between Gwangju and South Jeolla Province, saying the idea was to help rural bachelors marry and stem population decline in the region. He used a Korean word that refers to young or unmarried women. His words quickly drew criticism. Last week, the Embassy of Vietnam in Korea sent protest letters to South Jeolla Province and Jindo County. “The remarks have already caused outrage and offense within the Vietnamese community in Korea and continue to generate controversy and concern,” the statement said, urging authorities to take the matter seriously, apologize and make amends for the phrase “importing Vietnamese women.” The statement also said that the Vietnamese community in Korea — particularly th

Feb 9, 2026By Park Ung
Outcry grows over Jindo County head’s remarks about importing foreign women

Korean province apologizes to Vietnamese people after ‘import young foreign women’ remark draws backlash

South Jeolla Province issued a formal apology to the Vietnamese public after Jindo County Gov. Kim Hee-soo sparked backlash by suggesting “importing Vietnamese women” to address population decline. In a statement released under the provincial spokesperson’s name Saturday, the province said it “sincerely bows its head in apology to the Vietnamese people and women,” adding that the use of terms such as "import" “undermines human dignity, objectifies women and cannot be justified under any circumstances.” The comments contradict South Jeolla’s stated commitment to human rights, gender equality and multicultural inclusion, the statement said. The province also emphasized Vietnam’s importance to the region, noting that many residents of Vietnamese origin have settled in the province and are valued members of local communities. The controversy stems from remarks Kim made during a town hall meeting on Wednesday on measures to counter regional population decline. “If it comes down to it, we have to import young unmarried women from places like Sri Lanka or Vietnam, arrange ma

Feb 9, 2026By Hankookilbo
Korean province apologizes to Vietnamese people after ‘import young foreign women’ remark draws backlash

2 army aviators die after Cobra attack helicopter crash in Gapyeong County

Two soldiers died after a military helicopter that was set to retire crashed in a northern county Monday following a takeoff for training, military officials said. The AH-1S Cobra helicopter of an Army aviation unit based in Gapyeong, Gyeonggi Province, went down at 11:04 a.m. at a stream located some 800 meters near its base post. The helicopter had taken off for flight training at 9:45 a.m. The two warrant officers on board — in their 30s and 50s — had been transported to hospitals in a state of cardiac arrest but succumbed to their injuries. No civilian damage has been reported so far. Authorities said the incident did not involve any fires or explosions and that the chopper was unarmed at the time of the accident. The accident occurred during flight training aimed at familiarizing emergency landing procedures for crew members. It remains to be investigated whether the accident occurred as the chopper was returning to the base after completing the training or during the training, an Army official said. "(The helicopter) was fitted with recording equipment so the recovery of the devi

Feb 9, 2026By Yonhap
2 army aviators die after Cobra attack helicopter crash in Gapyeong County

Why South Koreans are tuning out 2026 Winter Olympics

The Winter Olympics are back after another four years, but Koreans barely noticed. The Milan Cortina Winter Olympic Games, which officially opened with preliminary events on Wednesday (local time) before the formal opening ceremony on Friday, have drawn the lowest level of Korean public interest ever recorded for a Winter Olympics. Google Trends data shows domestic searches for "Olympics" have fallen below 10 on a 100-point scale — down from 30 during the 2022 Beijing Games and a peak of 100 when Korea hosted the PyeongChang Games in 2018. The first live Korean broadcast — a mixed doubles curling match featuring the national team — drew a viewer rating of just 1.5 percent according to Nielsen Korea. The opening ceremony drew a viewer rating of just 1.8 percent. "It's not the Olympics — it's just an ordinary early February," one small business owner wrote on a popular online community for self-employed people, recalling other big sporting events in the past when people gathered at restaurants and pubs to watch the games together. Other comments included, "I didn't even know the Ol

Feb 9, 2026By Lee Hae-rin
Why South Koreans are tuning out 2026 Winter Olympics

Heavy snow grounds flights at Jeju airport, stranding about 11,000 passengers

Heavy snow grounded flights at Jeju International Airport on Sunday, stranding an estimated 11,000 passengers on Korea's southern resort island, officials said. Runway operations at Jeju International Airport were suspended until 11 a.m. due to heavy snow and strong winds, according to the airport operator. Of the 461 flights scheduled, 163 inbound and outbound flights were canceled and five aircraft were diverted, leaving thousands of passengers stranded at the airport. Airport officials deployed snow-removal vehicles to clear runways, but flight operations were expected to remain disrupted even after services resumed as the snowstorm continued. Jeju International Airport and the provincial government are ready to provide emergency supplies to support stranded passengers, if needed. The airport possesses some 2,700 blankets, 1,500 mattresses and 1,000 bottles of water, while the provincial government also holds 2,158 blankets and 2,158 mattresses for emergency use. A heavy snow warning was in effect for Jeju's mountainous areas. Weather officials said areas near Mount Halla received 21.5

Feb 8, 2026By Yonhap
Heavy snow grounds flights at Jeju airport, stranding about 11,000 passengers
previous page
6768697071
next page

Most Read in South Korea