Sat, October 21, 2017 | 03:15
 
 
alt
Posted : 2017-09-25 22:10
Updated : 2017-09-26 13:49
 

N. Korea says Trump's words were declaration of war

North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho speaks to journalists as he leaves his hotel in New York on Sep. 25. The U.S. President Donald Trump has "declared a war" on North Korea, the country's foreign minister said Monday while conveying a threat to shoot down US bombers. "Trump claimed our leadership would not be around much longer," North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho told reporters outside his hotel in New York. "He declared a war on our country." / AFP-Yonhap


North Korea's foreign minister said Monday that U.S. President Donald Trump has declared war against his country and Pyongyang will defend itself by shooting down American bombers if necessary.

In a Saturday tweet, Trump warned that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and his regime "won't be around much longer."

"It is clearly a declaration of war because those were words by an incumbent American president," Ri Yong-ho told reporters in front of his New York hotel.


The minister, who was in the city to attend the U.N. General Assembly last week, cited Saturday's overfly of U.S. B-1B bombers in international airspace off North Korea's eastern coast.

"As long as the U.S. has declared war, from now on, even if U.S. strategic bombers don't fly into our airspace, we will hold all the rights to self-defense, including the right to shoot them down at a time of our discretion. We will see then who lasts longer," he said.

Last week saw an escalation in tensions between Washington and Pyongyang after Trump threatened to "totally destroy" North Korea in the event of an attack on the U.S or its allies.

Kim retorted that he would consider the "highest-level" countermeasures, which Ri then said could involve the most powerful detonation of a hydrogen bomb over the Pacific Ocean.

On Saturday, the minister told the U.N. General Assembly that a strike on the U.S. mainland was "inevitable" as Trump called Kim "Little Rocket Man."

"For the past few days, the U.N. and the international community earnestly wished that the North Korea-U.S. war of words would not lead to action," Ri said. "But last weekend, Trump ultimately declared war by saying again that our leadership will not last long."

The U.N. charter recognizes all member states' right to self-defense, he said.


Getting into his car, he told reporters that "all options" will be placed on the North Korean leadership's military operations table in the wake of Trump's "declaration of war."

The White House dismissed the charge.


"We've not declared war on North Korea. Frankly, the suggestion of that is absurd," White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said at a press briefing.

The Pentagon responded in kind to Ri's remarks.

"If North Korea does not stop their provocative actions, we will make sure that we provide options to the president to deal with North Korea," Pentagon spokesman Col. Robert Manning told reporters.

North Korea conducted its sixth and most powerful nuclear test early this month. In recent weeks, it also launched a series of ballistic missiles, including two over Japan and two of intercontinental range.

Washington has repeatedly said all options, including a military strike, are on the table to deal with Pyongyang's threats.

Analysts say it is only a matter of time before the regime attains its goal of having a nuclear-tipped missile capable of reaching the U.S. mainland.


리용호 "美 폭격기 어디서든 쏘아 떨굴 권리 보유"

귀국길 뉴욕 숙소 앞서 '트럼프가 명백한 선전포고 했다' 입장 표명

美 전략폭격기 북 동해 무력시위에 강력 반발…'자위 군사대응' 천명

'전세계 美의 선전포고 기억해야…모든 선택안 작전타구에 올려질 것'


리용호 북한 외무상은 25일(현지시간) '미국이 선전포고한 이상 미국 전략폭격기들이 설사 우리 영공 계산을 채 넘어서지 않는다고 해도 임의의 시각에 쏘아 떨굴 권리를 포함해 모든 자위적 대응권리를 보유하게 될 것'이라고 말했다.

유엔 총회 참석차 뉴욕을 방문했던 리 외무상은 이날 숙소인 밀레니엄힐튼 유엔플라자 호텔에서 '유엔 헌장은 개별국의 자위권을 인정하고 있다'면서 이같이 주장한 성명을 발표하고 귀국길에 올랐다.

이러한 리 외무상의 언급은 이틀 전 '죽음의 백조'로 불리는 미국의 전략폭격기 B-1B 랜서가 F-15 전투기들의 호위를 받으며 북한 동해의 최북단 국제공역을 비행하는 독자 '무력시위'를 펼친 데 대한 강력한 반발로 풀이된다.

미국이 대북 무력시위를 다시 벌일 경우 자위권 차원의 대응에 나설 수 있다는 입장을 대내외에 천명함으로써 향후 군사행동 가능성에 대한 명분 쌓기에 돌입했다는 분석이 나온다.

이와 함께 리 외무상은 '지난 며칠 동안 알다시피 유엔을 비롯한 국제사회는 조·미(북·미) 사이의 말싸움이 행동으로 이어지지 않기를 간절히 소원했다'면서 '그러나 트럼프는 지난 주말에 또다시 우리 지도부에 대해 오래가지 못할 것이라고 공언함으로써 끝내 선전포고를 했다'고 비난했다.

'미국의 현직 대통령이 한 말이기 때문에 이것은 명백한 선전포고'라며 '지금 유엔 총회에 참가하는 모든 성원국 대표단을 포함해 전 세계는 이번에 미국이 먼저 우리에게 선전포고했다는 것을 기억해야 할 것'이라고 강조했다.

그는 '누가 더 오래가는 가는 그때 가 보면 알 것'이라고도 했다.

이어 리 외무상은 성명 발표를 마치고 승용차에 오르면서 기자들에게 '트럼프의 선전포고에 대처해서 모든 선택안이 조선민주주의인민공화국 최고 지도부의 작전 타구에 올려지게 될 것'이라고 말했다.

앞서 리 외무상은 지난 23일 제72차 유엔 총회 일반토의 기조연설에서도 유엔의 대북 제재가 부당하다고 주장하면서 '미국과 그 추종세력이 우리 공화국 지도부에 대한 참수나 우리 공화국에 대한 군사적 공격 기미를 보일 때는 가차 없는 선제행동으로 예방조치를 취할 것'이라고 위협했다.(연합)