An increasing number of South Koreans have been canceling their trips to the Philippines due mainly to rising concerns over earthquakes in the area, local travel agencies said Wednesday.
According to Hana Tour Service Inc., the country's biggest travel company, and Tourbaksa, nearly 15 percent of their scheduled trips to the Philippines were canceled, shortly after an earthquake struck the Southeast Asian nation last week.
A 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck off the country's southeast island of Bohol on Oct. 15 followed by 5.2 magnitude tremor on Monday.
An official from the Philippine Department of Tourism said the number of tourists expressing concerns over their safety has increased, adding that it recommends traveling to safer areas such as Boracay, 315 kilometers south of Manila. (Yonhap)







