my timesThe Korea Times

Former footballer Kang Ji-yong dies at 37

Listen
Former footballer Kang Ji-yong on JTBC’s reality show “Divorce Camp' / Courtesy of JTBC

Former footballer Kang Ji-yong on JTBC’s reality show “Divorce Camp" / Courtesy of JTBC

Former professional footballer Kang Ji-yong has died, just two months after appearing on JTBC’s reality show "Divorce Camp." He was 37.

News of Kang’s death was shared on Wednesday by fellow former footballer Koo Bon-sang through a post on social media. According to the funeral announcement, Kang passed away on Tuesday.

His wake is being held at Soonchunhyang University Hospital in Cheonan, South Chungcheong Province. His wife and daughter, both of whom appeared with him on the show, are listed as chief mourners — those who lead the mourning process and serve as the primary representatives of the family. The funeral is scheduled for April 25, with burial at Cheonan Memorial Park.

Born in 1989, Kang was selected fifth overall in the 2009 K League draft and made his professional debut with the Pohang Steelers. He later played for several clubs including Busan IPark, Bucheon FC, Gangwon FC, Incheon United FC, Gimpo FC and Gangneung Citizen FC, before retiring in 2022 after a stint with Cheonan City FC.

After retirement, Kang began working at a chemical manufacturing plant. In an episode of "Divorce Camp" aired in February, he explained that he chose a new career path over coaching to avoid long-term separation from his wife and newborn child.

“When I was debating retirement, my wife was pregnant,” he said. “I had to think practically, so I started a completely different job.”

During the broadcast, Kang shared that he had earned up to 150 million won ($110,000) annually during his football career but was now making around 3.5 million won per month.

He spoke openly about financial difficulties after retirement, including unresolved issues regarding assets entrusted to his parents and a household debt of 30 to 40 million won.

“I just wish I could die in my sleep. I have such a strong desire to die,” he said during an interview with the production team, raising concerns at the time.

Despite the distressing comments, Kang and his wife appeared to be working through their differences on the show. In last month's episode, the couple reconciled and agreed to continue their marriage.

Following the news of his death, JTBC has removed all related episodes and clips featuring Kang and his wife from its official website, as well as from streaming platforms Tving and YouTube.

Tributes have poured in from K League fans, many of whom remember Kang for his years of dedicated play in Korean professional football. His sudden passing has left both the football community and viewers in deep sorrow.

This article from the Hankook Ilbo, the sister publication of The Korea Times, is translated by a generative AI system and edited by The Korea Times.