
Swimmer Park Tae-hwan wipes the tears away during a press conference at Jamsil Tourist Hotel in Songpa District, southern Seoul, Friday. Park apologized to the public for violating doping regulations. / Yonhap
By Baek Byung-yeul
Swimmer Park Tae-hwan officially apologized on Friday for the doping scandal that has led to his 18-month ban from swimming, but did not specify his future plans and whether he hopes to compete at next year’s Summer Olympic Games.
“For whatever reasons, I deeply apologize to everyone,” Park said to reporters at a press conference at a hotel in Seoul, Friday.
“I am sorry for not making this apology sooner. I humbly accept any blame. I will have my time of self-restraint and self-reflection during the suspension period,” Park said.
The 25-year old added that he did not have any swimming plans, saying it is too early to talk about whether he will participate at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
“FINA opened the doors for me to swim at Rio, but nothing has been decided yet. I am listening to everyone’s advice. Now, there’s nothing for me to say but I am sorry to all the people who have supported me. My future goal at this point is to become a person on the right path,” he said, weeping.
Park was banned Monday for 18 months by the International Swimming Federation (FINA) because he tested positive for testosterone in a drug test last year. He will be stripped of his six medals from last year’s Incheon Asian Games.
FINA said the suspension will be retroactive to the day of the positive test on Sept. 3, and conclude on March 2, 2016, which may give Park time prepare for the Rio Olympics. But a new regulation instituted by the Korean Olympic Committee (KOC) last year could see him miss the Rio event. The rule bans any athlete suspended for doping from competing with the national team for three years. KOC officials have suggested there might be room for “flexibility” in enforcing the regulation.
The 2008 Beijing Olympic champion became the talk of the town in January after his agency, Team GMP, made an announcement that he had tested positive in a September doping test. The test conducted by FINA was carried out before the Incheon Asian Games that month.
Following the disclosure, Park’s agency said he was given a testosterone injection by a doctor at a clinic in Seoul, but the doctor who administered the testosterone injection did not fully explain what he was putting into Park’s body.
Park insisted Friday he did not know what was in the needle.
“I was introduced to the clinic by one of my acquaintances, and I told the doctor that I have to be very cautious about banned substances. I had an injection only one time, last July,” he said.
Earlier this week, the head of the Korean national swimming federation said Park needed to offer a full, public apology before any discussion on when he might return to competition.