Korean man released 5 days after abduction in Philippines
Summary
A Korean businessman in his 40s was safely released in Manila on Friday, five days after he was abducted in the Philippines. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said he is in good health. The Korean Embassy, local police, Korean police officers stationed in the country and the ministry worked together on the case. The ministry gave no further details because a local investigation is ongoing.
Key Facts
- The man was abducted Sunday in the Malate district of Manila by four local men, according to Korean media reports.
- The victim later contacted an acquaintance and said the kidnappers were demanding a ransom for his release.
- The Korean Embassy in the Philippines received a report about the abduction on Monday and set up an on-site response team headed by the ambassador.
- The ministry said Friday’s case was the first reported abduction involving a Korean national in the Philippines this year.
- There were five reported abductions involving Korean nationals in the Philippines in 2023, one in 2024 and three in 2025.

A sign for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is seen on the facade of the ministry's building in Jongno District, Seoul, Sept. 24, 2025. Newsis
A Korean man in his 40s who was abducted in Manila last week was safely released Friday, five days after he was taken by unidentified men, according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The man, who was abducted Sunday, is in good health, according to the ministry.
The victim, a businessman, was reportedly abducted by four local men in the Malate district of Manila. The suspects allegedly blocked the victim's vehicle before another person entered and took him.
The victim later contacted an acquaintance and said the kidnappers were demanding a ransom in exchange for his release, according to Korean media reports.
The Korean Embassy in the Philippines received a report about the abduction on Monday. The foreign ministry then held an emergency meeting with the embassy and set up a task force to handle the case.
The embassy also formed an on-site response team headed by the ambassador and worked with Philippine police, Korean police officers stationed in the country and the foreign ministry in Seoul.
The ministry said it had worked closely with local police and other authorities to secure the man’s early release, with his safety as its top priority.
It declined to provide further details, including how the man was released, citing an ongoing investigation by local authorities.
There were five reported abductions involving Korean nationals in the Philippines in 2023, one in 2024 and three in 2025. Friday’s case was the first reported this year.
Explore More
- Q.
- Q.
- Q.