my timesThe Korea Times

Former Monsta X member Wonho cleared of drug charges

Listen

Former Monsta X member Wonho. Courtesy of Starship Entertainment

By Dong Sun-hwa

Wonho, formerly of K-pop boy band Monsta X, has been cleared of drug charges, his former agency Starship Entertainment said Saturday.

“Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency wrapped up on March 10 its investigation into the former Monsta X member Wonho over his drug allegations and cleared him of all charges,” Starship said in a statement. “From now on, Starship will give unsparing support to Wonho so he can walk the path he wants to.”

It did not disclose whether he would rejoin Monsta X, as some fans wish. Wonho left Monsta X last October after multiple allegations ― including marijuana use in 2013 ― were raised against him. TV personality Jung Da-eun also accused him of not repaying millions of won and claimed the singer had been incarcerated in a youth detention center in the past for theft.

Following a controversy, Starship terminated its contract with Wonho, but the music label released a statement on Saturday saying it had nevertheless appointed an attorney for him and together striven to “make sure there was no injustice.”

Wonho debuted as a Monsta X member in 2015. Monsta X ― now comprising Shownu, Minhyuk, Kihyun, Hyungwon, Joohoney and I.M ― recently ranked No. 5 on the Billboard 200 chart with its 11-track English release “ALL ABOUT LUV.”