my timesThe Korea Times

Samsung Closes Gap With Motorola in U.S. Handset Market

Listen

Samsung Electronics Co., a South Korean electronics giant, reduced its market share gap with Motorola Inc. in the mobile phone market in the United States last

year, a U.S.-based researcher said Thursday.

Despite beating Motorola as the world's No. 2 seller of mobile phones, Samsung has been struggling to overcome Motorola's dominance in the U.S. handset market.

Motorola's market share stood at 34.6 percent last year, falling 3.2 percentage points from a year ago, while Samsung's rose 3.3 percentage points to stand at 18.2 percent, according to a report from Strategy Analytics.

Nokia Corp., the world's leading handset maker, logged a 10.6 percent market share, falling 4.3 percentage points, in the U.S., the report said.

Industry watchers attributed Samsung's strong performance to its aggressive sports marketing and the introduction of new line of cutting-edge phones.

Samsung Electronics global handset sales stood at 18.37 trillion won ($22.1 billion) last year, up 22 percent from a year earlier, the company said earlier in the year. (Yonhap)