alt
Posted : 2012-08-22 19:01
Updated : 2012-08-22 19:01

'Don't take medal from him'


Hong Myung-bo
By Jung Min-ho

Olympic football team manager Hong Myung-bo said Wednesday that he believes beleaguered midfielder Park Jong-woo deserves his bronze medal.

“He made a big contribution to the team’s achievement. As far as I am concerned, he deserves to be a bronze medalist and the medal ceremony should have been his moment to remember. But he never had the chance,” Hong said at a press conference in Seoul.

At the conference, Hong expressed his disapproval of the way the Korean Olympic Committee (KOC) and Korea Football Association (KFA) have handled the issue of Park’s celebration at the London Games. The 23-year-old midfielder held up a sign that read “Dokdo is our land,” after Korea beat Japan 2-0 to win its first Olympic football medal on Aug. 11.

Park was banned from attending the medal ceremony for the controversial act as it went against the International Olympic Committee charter that bars political statements. Dokdo is the name of Korea’s easternmost islets that Japan has long claimed ownership of despite the fact that they have been under the control of Korean police since 1952.

“The KOC and KFA should have been more careful administratively in dealing with Park’s case,” Hong said. “When I heard that the KOC decided not to let Park attend events (after the Olympics), I was very disappointed. I personally called him and told him to come to the welcoming dinner.”

Hong said that he “wanted to be with every one of the players from the start to the end,” and felt that inviting Park was the least he could do as a manager.

“In the heat of victory, Park impulsively celebrated,” Hong said. “The KFA and Japan Football Association (JFA) have maintained a good relationship. We even have Japanese coach Ikeda Seiko in our team. We hope FIFA will make a wise decision.”

Earlier this week, the KFA triggered a public backlash for sending a poorly-written apology in English to the JFA.

Critics said it was unnecessary and also poorly described the situation with numerous grammatical errors. Hong also questioned if the decision to send the letter was right in the first place.

After the IOC initiated an investigation into Park’s case based on the breach of the Olympic Charter, FIFA said it will open a separate investigation to discipline the player. With that, the KFA sent a delegation to FIFA to explain that the 23-year-old’s actions were unintentional. Both the KOC and KFA are now awaiting the IOC’s decision in the ongoing probe.
관련 한글 기사

홍명보 "박종우 문제, 행정 신중했어야"

"만찬 등 환영행사 배제에 실망..사과공문도 정확히 판단했어야"

홍명보(43) 런던올림픽 축구 대표팀 감독이 미드필더 박종우(부산)에 대한 행정적 처우에 실망감을 나타냈다.

홍 감독은 22일 종로구 신문로 축구회관에서 열린 올림픽 결산 기자회견에서 한일전 '독도 세리머니'로 동메달을 아직 받지 못한 박종우의 문제에 대해 "행정적인 부분에서 더 신중했어야 한다고 생각한다"고 말했다.

그는 먼저 "박종우가 시상대에 올라가지 못한 점은 아주 안타깝다. 그는 어느 선수보다도 우리 팀에 가장 많은 공헌과 노력을 한 선수로 충분히 자격 있는 동메달리스트다"라고 운을 뗐다.

홍 감독은 또 "런던에서 귀국했을 때 만찬 등 환영행사에 박종우가 참석할 수 없다는 대한체육회의 결정을 전해듣고 실망감을 감출 수 없었다"며 "그런 행정적 문제는 좀 더 신중했어야 했다"고 말했다.

이어 "(박종우가 불참한다면) 팀이 처음과 끝을 함께 하는 데에 있어 맞지 않는다고 생각해 박종우에게 따로 전화해 환영 만찬에 꼭 참석하라고 얘기했다"고 말했다.

그는 "감독으로서 마지막까지 그 선수와 같이 있고 싶은 마음이 컸다. 그게 내가 감독으로서 마지막으로 해줄 수 있는 일이라고 생각해 그렇게 결정했다"고 뒷얘기를 전했다.

최근 대한축구협회가 일본축구협회에 보낸 사과성 공문에 대해서도 아쉬움을 드러냈다.

홍 감독은 "일본에 보낸 서한에 대해서는 국제축구연맹에 해명을 했으리라 생각한다"면서도 "그런 공문은 신중하고 정확하게 판단했어야 하지 않나 싶다. (공문을) 꼭 일본에 먼저 보냈어야 했는지에 대해서도 사람들과 같은 생각이다"라고 말했다.

홍명보 감독은 한일전 후 '독도는 우리땅'이라고 적힌 종이를 들고 뛴 박종우의 행동은 우발적인 일이었다고 강조했다.

홍 감독은 "선수들이 (그런 행동을) 의도적으로 준비했다면 감독으로서 못하게 했을 것이다. 우리 팀에 일본인 코치도 있기 때문이다"라고 설명했다.

그는 "경기가 끝나고 동메달을 딴 기쁨에 우발적으로 벌어진 일이다. (그 일이 벌어진 동안) 경기장에 있지 않고 라커룸에 들어간 내 책임도 있다"며 "국제축구연맹이 현명한 판단을 하리라 생각한다"고 말했다.

향후 거취에 대해서는 "지난 3년6개월간 목표를 갖고 달려와 끝이 났다. 에너지와 경험, 지식이 소진된 상태"라며 "구체적 계획은 없지만 당분간 자연인으로 돌아가 내 생활을 가지며 재충전하겠다"고 했다.

또 "장학재단을 통한 사회공헌 활동 등 내 손이 필요한 일은 계속하겠다. 개인적으로는 박사과정을 수료하고 논문이 남았는데 쉬는 기간 잘 준비하겠다"고 덧붙였다.

잉글랜드 프리미어리그 진출을 눈앞에 둔 기성용 등 새로운 무대에 도전하는 선수들에게 조언도 잊지 않았다.

홍 감독은 "도전 자체는 아주 좋지만 과거를 통해 배울 수 있는 점들은 정확하게 인식하고 갔으면 좋겠다"며 "무조건 빅클럽이나 금전적으로 많은 이득을 주는 팀에 가기 보다는 운동장에 나갈 시간을 확보하는게 우선이다"라고 말했다.

그는 "우리 선수들은 한국 축구에 큰 기여를 할 것이다. 새로운 세대의 등장이라고 충분히 말씀드릴 수 있다"며 "병역문제를 해결한 이들이 어떤 선택을 할 지 모르겠지만 경기장에서 자신의 모습을 보여줄 수 있는지가 첫번째 조건이 됐으면 한다"고 바랐다.(연합뉴스)


  • 1. Blackhead extraction video is disgusting and mesmerizing
  • 2. S. Korea, China, Japan to adopt joint statement on Ebola fight
  • 3. NK moves forward on submarine-based ballistic missile
  • 4. Giant treadmill has space for 10 runners at once
  • 5. 'World's hottest criminal' pleads guilty to theft, weapons
  • 6. 'Sex Mountain' becomes pilgrimage hot spot in Indonesia
  • 7. Women expected to outnumber men in 2015
  • 8. NK threatens nuke war
  • 9. Here are more Kate Upton photos to look at
  • 10. Seoul stocks likely to creep up on signs of global economic recovery
Copy editors wanted
Experienced reporters wanted