Fri, October 20, 2017 | 19:44
 
alt
Posted : 2017-09-14 21:29
Updated : 2017-09-15 09:04

Lotte Mart set to pull out of Chinese market

By Park Jae-hyuk

Lotte Mart is apparently leaving the Chinese market in the face of growing retaliatory steps by Beijing against South Korea's installation of a U.S. missile defense system.

Lotte Group, the nation's fifth-largest conglomerate, has not ruled out selling all of its 112 Lotte Mart outlets in the country.

It said it has hired Goldman Sachs as the lead manager for the disposal.

"We've decided to sell Lotte Mart outlets. We don't rule out the possibility of selling all of the remaining discount stores," a group official said.

After the retail giant offered its golf resort as a site for the deployment of a U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense unit here, the company suffered intensifying retaliation from the Chinese government, which strongly opposed the deployment.

Its 87 Lotte Mart outlets and 12 Lotte Supermarkets have been closed for nearly half a year, since unprecedented safety inspections by the Chinese authorities earlier this year.

Lotte has also been unable to operate its remaining stores, due to a Chinese consumer boycott.

To pay wages for Chinese employees and sustain the business, Lotte injected 360 billion won ($318 million) into its Chinese branches in March, and recently decided to spend an additional 340 billion won. The company is expected to suffer 1 trillion won losses throughout the year.

Sales of Lotte Mart's Chinese branches dropped to 21 billion won in the second quarter from 284 billion won last year.

However, it has continued to deny rumors that it will leave the Chinese market.

Chairman Shin Dong-bin has also said he wants to continue to do businesses in China, as he loves the country which is the land of his ancestors.

Given that the construction of Lotte World in Shenyang has also been halted since December last year, observers expect Lotte may withdraw its other businesses, including confectionery and chemical plants, cinemas and department stores.

Industry officials said the deployment of four additional THAAD launchers will stimulate more Korean firms to exit the Chinese market.

Prior to Lotte's decision, Shinsegae Group decided in May to pull out its E-mart discount stores from China.

Korean businesses have complained about Beijing's economic retaliations since Seoul's decision to deploy the THAAD battery here.




관련 한글 기사

사드보복에 시달린 롯데 결국 '중국 롯데마트' 매각한다

매각 주관사 골드만삭스…롯데마트 중국 모든 매장 처분도 검토 

롯데 '마트 제외한 다른 사업부분 철수는 고려 안해'

주한미군 고고도 미사일 방어체계(THAAD·사드) 배치 용지 제공 후 중국으로부터 혹독한 보복을 당해온 중국 롯데마트가 결국 매각 작업에 착수한 것으로 알려졌다.

롯데는 당초 중국에서 롯데마트를 원상 그대로 유지하려고 했으나 6개월 이상 중국 당국이 강제로 영업을 정지시킨 데 이어 전망 또한 불투명해 결국 매장 처분을 선택한 것으로 보인다.

14일 중국 현지 투자은행(IB) 등에 따르면 롯데마트는 최근 중국 내 매장 처분을 위한 매각 주관사로 골드만삭스를 선정해 본격적인 작업에 돌입한 것으로 전해졌다.

중국 내 롯데마트의 매각 범위는 확정되지는 않았으나 일부 또는 모든 매장의 매각도 배제하지 않는 것으로 파악됐다.

현지 IB 관계자는 '최근 중국 롯데마트를 팔기 위한 매각 주관사가 운영에 들어가는 등 매각을 위한 작업에 착수한 것으로 알고 있다'면서 '아직 확정되지는 않았으나 일부를 팔 수도 아니면 협상에 따라 매장 전체를 파는 방안도 포함된 것으로 파악하고 있다'고 말했다.

롯데그룹 관계자는 '현재 마트 부문은 개별 기업이 감당하기 어려운 상황이라 전체 매장 매각을 포함한 매각 방안을 주관사와 협의중'이라며 '다만 마트를 제외한 다른 중국 사업 부문의 철수는 고려하지 않고 있다'고 말했다.

이처럼 롯데마트가 중국 매장 매각에 돌입한 것은 중국 내 대부분 매장 영업이 중단된 상황에서 피해액이 눈덩이처럼 불어나고 있기 때문이다.

문재인 정부가 들어선 뒤 한중 관계가 개선되면 중국 내 롯데마트 사업도 다시 좋아질 것이라는 기대감이 있었으나 최근 우리 정부의 사드 잔여 발사대 배치로 양국 관계가 더욱 얼어붙으면서 수포가 됐다.

롯데마트는 현재 중국 내 점포 112개 중 87곳의 영업이 중단된 상태다. 나머지 점포도 사실상 휴점 상태와 다름없다.

롯데마트는 지난 3월 3천600억원 규모 자금을 긴급 수혈한 데 이어 최근 3천400억원을 추가로 수혈하기로 했다.

매출은 거의 없지만 임금 등 고정비는 계속 나가고 있다. 이러한 추세가 이어지면 연말까지 롯데마트의 피해액은 1조원에 달할 것으로 추산된다.

중국 당국은 지난해부터 사드와 관련해 롯데를 겨냥해 집중적으로 공격해왔다.

중국 당국은 지난해 11월 29일 중국에 진출한 롯데 계열사의 전 사업장에 대해 실시한 세무 조사를 했으며 각종 소방 점검 등을 이유로 롯데마트 매장을 영업 중지시킨 뒤 문을 열지 못하도록 막고 있다. 또한, 위생, 통신, 광고 등 다방면에 걸쳐 불시 단속을 이어가며 벌금 등을 부과해왔다.

베이징시 국가발전개혁위원회(발개위)는 지난해 롯데마트 주셴차오점과 양차오점에 대한 점검 결과, 발전기 23대와 변압기 4대의 에너지 사용이 과도하다며 사용 금지 명령을 내리고 최근 몰수해 경매 처분하기도 했다.

또한, 중국 롯데마트 점포 앞에서 중국인들의 사드 배치 항의 시위에 이어 중장비를 동원, 롯데 제품들을 짓밟는 퍼포먼스 시위 동영상까지 올라오기도 했다.

지난해 12월부터 중단된 롯데월드 선양(瀋陽)의 건설 공사도 막혔다.

실내 테마파크인 롯데월드 선양은 부지 16만㎡, 건축면적 150만㎡ 규모로, 롯데그룹이 지난 2008년부터 3조 원을 들여 추진해온 '선양 롯데타운 프로젝트'의 일부로 사드 문제가 불거지면서 소방 점검 등의 이유로 공사가 중단된 상태다.

롯데는 현재 중국에서 대형마트를 비롯해 총 120개 유통 계열사 점포를 운영 중인데, 해마다 1천억원 안팎의 적자를 기록해왔다. (연합뉴스)