alt
Posted : 2016-02-19 09:56
Updated : 2016-02-19 09:56

U.S. rejects Chinese offer of peace treaty talks with North Korea

The United States said Thursday that denuclearization remains its top priority when it comes to North Korea, rejecting a Chinese proposal to begin peace treaty negotiations with Pyongyang in tandem with denuclearization talks.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi made the offer earlier this week after talks in Beijing with his Australian counterpart. A peace treaty with the United States, which would formally end the 1950-53 Korean War, is one of the North's long-running demands.

"Denuclearization remains our top priority. We remain in close contact with the other five-party partners on our shared goal of the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula in a peaceful manner," State Department spokeswoman Katina Adams said.

In response to Pyongyang's repeated demand for a peace treaty, the U.S. has said the demand is a nonstarter as long as the North pursues nuclear ambitions. U.S. officials have stressed that the communist regime has got the order wrong and should first focus on negotiations to end its nuclear program. (Yonhap)

  • 1. 'Park spent 90 minutes hair styling when 315 students were trapped in sinking ferry'
  • 2. Jail sentences, fines over adult sex club
  • 3. Asiana Airlines under fire for letting injured pilot fly after punch-up
  • 4. Nurse linked to 'seven missing hours' under US military protection: lawmaker
  • 5. Choi Soon-sil's daughter stripped of high school diploma
  • 6. Apple blamed for loophole in mobile app refund policy
  • 7. Park may announce April departure
  • 8. Did US Embassy 'support' Park's resignation?
  • 9. Democracy - Korean style
  • 10. Candlelit rally tightens noose on Park