North Korea carried out at least 19 executions over the past 18 months, according to Voice of Korea (VOA), quoting a report from a human rights organization Tuesday.
Hands Off Cain, an anti-death penalty organization based in Italy, revealed in its recent report that the communist country executed 17 people last year and two more in the first half of this year.
The human rights group noted that isolated communist nations do not issue official records on executions. Therefore, "the number … may be higher," VOA quoted the organization as saying.
Hands Off Cain has been providing annual reports on executions since 1997.
The data was compiled based on media reports. Hands Off Cain cited last December, the North's leader Kim Jong-un's uncle Jang Song-thaek, once a powerful figure in North Korean leadership, was executed allegedly on anti-state activities.
Also Hands Off Cain found that charges of drug smuggling, embezzlement and defecting to South Korea or China resulted in the death penalty by firing squad, VOA reported.
Elisabetta Zamparutti, an official at the human rights group, said the number of executions dropped in the 2000s, but has increased since 2010. "Kim Jong-un appears to be using the death penalty as a tool to solidify his influence," Zamparutti said.
Hands Off Cain's latest report indicated 4,106 executions had been carried out from last year, of which China, Iran and Iraq were responsible for 3,000, 687, and 171 cases, respectively.

북한에서 작년 이후 최소 19건의 사형이 집행된 것으로 나타났다고 미국의소리(VOA) 방송이 22일 국제인권단체의 보고서를 인용해 보도했다.
이탈리아의 사형 반대단체인 핸즈오프케인은 지난 21일 발표한 세계 각국의 사형 집행에 관한 연례보고서에서 북한에서 작년과 올해 상반기에 각각 최소 17건, 2건의 사형이 집행됐다고 밝혔다.
북한의 사형 집행 통계는 공식 자료가 없어 언론보도를 토대로 집계한 것이라고 VOA는 전했다.
보고서는 장성택과 그의 측근 처형 등을 사례로 들며 지난해에는 주로 정치적인 이유로 처형이 이뤄졌다고 분석했다.
북한이 마약 밀수·횡령 등의 범죄를 저지른 간부들과 식량을 구하려고 남한·중국으로 탈출하는 주민들도 붙잡아 처형한다고 지적했다.
엘리자베타 잠파루티 전 공보관은 VOA와 전화 통화에서 '북한에서 2000년도 이후 공개 처형이 줄다가 2010년부터 사형 집행이 늘고 있다'며 '이는 김정은이 권력을 공고히 하려 하기 때문'이라고 말했다.
한편 작년 전세계에서 집행된 사형 건수는 4천106건으로 이는 전년(3천967건)보다 약 3.5% 증가한 것이다.
작년 사형 집행 건수가 가장 많았던 국가는 중국으로 3천건에 달했으며 이란(687건), 이라크(171건) 등이 뒤를 이었다.
핸즈오프케인은 1997년부터 매년 사형제에 대한 연례 보고서를 발표하고 있다. (연합뉴스)