alt
Posted : 2014-06-15 09:36
Updated : 2014-06-15 09:37

Korea, US to hold high-level talks on OPCON transfer

Korea and the United States will hold high-level talks this week in Seoul to discuss when and under what conditions to transfer wartime control of Korean troops from Washington to Seoul, defense ministry officials here said Sunday.

The assistant secretary-level meeting between the allies "will begin on Monday for a two-day run in Seoul for in-depth discussions to set the timing of and conditions for the South's regaining of the wartime operational control (OPCON)," a ministry official said, requesting anonymity.

Korea will be represented by Ryu Je-seung, chief of the ministry's Office of Planning and Coordination, and the U.S. by David Helvey, deputy assistant secretary of defense for East Asia, the official said, noting that such a meeting will take place on a monthly basis until October either in Seoul or Washington.

The talks came after Seoul's defense minister, Kim Kwan-jin, and his U.S. counterpart, Chuck Hagel, agreed last month to fix the schedule for the transfer by October, when the two sides are scheduled to hold their annual Security Consultative Meeting (SCM) in Washington.

Korea handed over control of its forces to the U.S. during the 1950-53 Korean War to defend against invading troops from North Korea. Peacetime control of its forces was returned in 1994, and Korea is scheduled to get back the wartime control in December 2015.

But last year, Seoul asked for a delay after the communist North conducted its third nuclear test, and Korean President Park Geun-hye and U.S. President Barack Obama agreed in April to reconsider the timing of the OPCON transfer amid Pyongyang's threat to carry out yet another nuclear test.

Experts and government sources say chances are high for the two sides to push back the timing for about five to seven years, possibly to early 2020.

South and North Korea are still technically at war after the Korean War ended in a truce without a peace treaty. About 28,500 American troops are stationed in Korea to help defend the Asian ally from threats from the communist nation. (Yonhap)


관련 한글 기사

한미 전작권 고위급협의체 16∼17일 서울서 첫 회의

전시작전통제권 전환의 조건과 시기를 논의할 한미 고위급 상설협의체가 16∼17일 서울에서 첫 회의를 갖는다.

국방부의 한 관계자는 15일 '한미 국방부 차관보급 인사가 대표로 참석하는 전작권 고위급 협의체가 내일부터 이틀간 서울에서 열린다'며 '이 협의체는 올해 10월 23일로 예정된 한미 안보협의회(SCM) 때까지 서울과 워싱턴을 오가며 매달 개최된다'고 밝혔다.

미측은 데이비드 헬비 국방부 동아시아 부차관보가, 우리 측은 류제승 국방부 국방정책실장이 수석 대표로 참석할 예정이다.

고위급 협의체는 올해 10월 워싱턴에서 열리는 SCM에서 양국 국방장관이 전작권 전환의 조건과 시기에 합의할 수 있도록 사전 협의를 진행하게 된다.

지금까지는 국장급이 대표인 한미 연합실무단이 북한의 핵·미사일 위협 및 한국군의 대응능력, 한국군의 군사운용 능력 등 전작권 전환조건에 관한 실무 협의를 진행했다.

김관진 국방장관과 척 헤이글 미국 국방장관은 지난달 31일 싱가포르에서 열린 한미 국방장관 회담에서 전작권 전환 협의에 박차를 가하기 위해 연합실무단과는 별도로 고위급 협의체를 신설하기로 합의한 바 있다.

당시 한미 국방장관이 합의한 전작권 전환 '워크플랜'(업무계획)에 따르면 양국은 올해 SCM에서 2015년 말로 예정된 전작권 전환시기를 언제로 재연기할 것인가를 최종 결정하게 된다.

따라서 오는 9월 한미 통합국방협의체(KIDD) 회의를 겸해 열리는 제4차 전작권 고위급 협의체에서 전작권 전환의 조건과 시기에 대한 윤곽이 나올 것으로 예상된다.

전작권 전환시점을 결정할 때는 북한의 핵·미사일 위협과 함께 이에 대비한 한국군의 '킬 체인'(Kill chain)과 한국형 미사일방어체계(KAMD)의 구축 시기 등이 중요 고려요소가 될 전망이다.

북한의 핵과 미사일 등 대량살상무기(WMD) 공격 징후를 포착해 타격하는 킬 체인과 탄도미사일 요격체계인 KAMD는 2020년대 초반에 구축된다.

이에 따라 전작권 전환시기가 2015년 말에서 5∼7년 연기된 2020년대 초반으로 결정될 것이라는 관측이 제기되고 있다. (연합뉴스) 




  • 1. Stalker gets 35 years' jail for murdering his teacher
  • 2. Police taser Hawaiian mayoral candidate
  • 3. Russia reconnected with gecko sex satellite
  • 4. Fifty NK students from elite school die in bus plunge
  • 5. Today's elections too close to call
  • 6. Mother leaves children unattended to have car sex
  • 7. Kindergarten teacher 'forced toddlers to hit each other'
  • 8. 'Rude boy' banned from doughnut shop
  • 9. Foreign workers upset by severance pay formula
  • 10. Girls' Generation tops Japanese chart
Copy editors wanted
Experienced reporters wanted