alt
Posted : 2014-05-18 16:56
Updated : 2014-05-18 18:55

23-floor apartment collapses in Pyongyang

Families of victims of an accident at an apartment construction site in Pyongyang grieve during a gathering in the capital where senior officials apologized and took responsibility. The word of the collapse in the secretive nation's capital was reported Sunday morning by the North's official Korean Central News Agency, which gave no death toll but said that the accident was "serious" and upset North Korea's leader, Kim Jong-un./AP-Yonhap


NK makes unprecedented apology


By Jun Ji-hye

A 23-floor apartment building in Pyongyang collapsed last Tuesday, killing a considerable number of people, according to the Ministry of Unification, Sunday.

A ministry official said that the collapsed building was located in the Pyongchon district of the capital city and was not completed.

"People had already been living in 92 housing units that were finished first," said the official, indicating that the death toll would reach hundreds.

The explanation came soon after the North's state media Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported a "serious" accident that occurred last week at a construction site in the capital.

It said the accident triggered a major rescue operation, which ended Saturday, but did not reveal the number of deaths and injuries.

The KCNA said, "The accident occurred as the construction of an apartment building was not done properly and officials supervised and controlled it in an irresponsible manner."

It is unprecedented that the highly controlled state media of the communist nation reports news that might be considered negative for its image.

The North Korean authorities also made a rare apology to the bereaved families and district residents.

According to the KCNA, Choi Bu-il, minister of people's security, told citizens, "It is an unforgivable sin, which cannot be compensated by any means."

For its part, the Rodong Sinmun, a mouthpiece of the ruling Workers' Party, carried a photo in which one executive bows in front of a number of local people to make an apology.

The attitude differs very markedly from previous cases.

When the Ryongchon station in North Pyongan Province was destroyed in an explosion in April 2004, claiming 150 lives and injuring 1,300 people, its media did not report an apology from authorities.

Experts say such prompt apology reflects the North's concern that the accident could agitate the people, considering that the key group of people supporting the North Korean regime resides in the capital city.

The KCNA stressed the Kim Jong-un regime has emphasized a people-oriented policy, saying, "The ruling Workers' Party has always given priority to protecting the lives and property of the people."

Such intention is also evidenced by a report that the Stalinist state's young leader Kim Jong-un "sat up all night, feeling painful after being told about the accident."

Kim Yong-hyun, a North Korea specialist at Dongguk University in Seoul, said, "The North's way of reporting the accident is seen as an apparent attempt to display at home and abroad that Kim Jong-un is a true leader who carefully perceives public sentiment."

Some raised another interpretation that the isolated state tried to give the impression that it considers people's lives as important, bearing Seoul's ferry Sewol disaster in mind.

The tragic sinking of the vessel claimed hundreds of lives, mostly high school students who were on a school trip on April 16.

Follow Jun Ji-hye on Twitter @TheKopJihye



관련 한글 기사

北, 대형사고 이례적 사과 보도…주민불만 의식했나

 '김정은, 가슴 아파 밤 지새'…南 세월호 참사 염두에 뒀을 가능성도

    북한이 18일 평양시 평천구역의 아파트 붕괴 사고를 이례적으로 보도한 배경에 관심이 쏠린다.

    주민에게 '지상낙원'이라고 선전하는 북한이 그동안 치부를 드러내는 사건·사고를 보도한 사례는 극히 드물기 때문이다.

    더구나 북한 당국의 주민에 대한 사과 수위도 매우 높다.

    최부일 인민보안부장은 피해가족과 평양 시민들을 만나 '이 죄는 무엇으로도 보상할 수 없으며 용서받을 수 없다'며 반성했고, 사고 건물의 건설을 담당한 인민내무군 장성 선우형철은 '평양 시민들에게 머리숙여 사과한다'고 말했다고 조선중앙통신이 전했다.

    노동당 기관지 노동신문에는 한 간부가 잔뜩 모인 주민들 앞에서 고개를 숙인 사진이 실렸다.

    이처럼 북한 당국이 자존심을 굽히며 주민들에게 사과한 사례는 전례를 찾기가 어렵다.

    예컨대 2004년 4월 평안북도 룡천역 폭발사고 당시 북한은 사망자 150여 명, 부상자 1천300여 명 등의 인명피해를 보도했지만 사과 보도는 없었다.

    또 2010년 초 당시 김영일 내각 총리가 평양 시내 인민반장 수천 명을 모아놓고 화폐개혁 등의 부작용에 대해 사과한 것으로 알려졌지만 관련 보도는 나오지 않았다.

    북한이 이번 사고에 대해 신속히 잘못을 인정하고 사과한 것은 무엇보다 주민들의 불만을 잠재우려는 의도가 커 보인다.

    김정은 체제가 '인민중시'를 강조하는 상황에서 민심의 동요를 크게 의식한 것으로 볼 수 있다.

    조선중앙통신이 사고 기사를 '인민의 이익과 편의를 최우선, 절대시하고 인민의 생명재산을 철저히 보호하는 것은 조선노동당과 국가의 시종일관한 정책'이라고 시작한 것은 이를 뒷받침하는 대목이다.

    김수길 평양시당 위원회 책임비서가 '원수님(김정은)께서 이번 사고에 대하여 보고받으시고 너무도 가슴이 아프시여 밤을 지새우셨다'며 김정은 국방위원회 제1위원장이 고위간부들에게 만사를 제쳐놓고 현장에 나가 구조작업을 지휘하도록 지시했다고 밝힌 점도 주목된다.

    김정은 체제는 2012년을 '인민의 해'로 정하고 '인민대중제일주의'라는 신조어를 내세우는 등 권력 공고화를 위한 민심잡기에 힘써왔다.

    이런 상황에서 대형사고가 주민의 불만을 증폭시킬 중대사안으로 인식한 것으로 보인다.

    우리 정부가 사고 건물인 23층 아파트에 92세대가 거주했을 것으로 추정한 점을 감안할 때 사상자가 많게는 수백 명이나 될 것으로 보인다.

    특히 평양이 북한 체제를 떠받치는 '핵심계층'이 거주하는 곳이기 때문에 우려가 더 컸을 것으로 추정된다.

    사고 지역인 평천구역은 중구역, 보통강구역과 더불어 평양의 중심지로 권력이 있고 돈이 많은 주민이 많이 살고 있다.

    김용현 동국대 북한학과 교수는 '북한의 아파트 사고 보도는 김정은 제1위원장이 민심을 세심하게 살피는 진정성 있는 지도자라는 점을 대내외에 보여주려는 의도로 볼 수 있다'고 말했다.

    또 김정은 체제 들어 사건을 과거보다 사실대로 공개하는 특징이 반영됐다는 분석도 있다.

    북한은 작년 9월에도 '횃불컵' 1급 남자축구 결승에서 부정선수가 출전했다고 이례적으로 보도한 바 있다.

    다른 한편에서 북한이 세월호 참사를 염두에 뒀을 것이라는 해석도 제기된다.

    북한 매체가 세월호 참사에 대한 박근혜 정부의 대응이 무책임하다고 연일 선전하는 상황에서 정작 북한 내부의 대형참사를 가볍게 넘어가기 어려웠을 것이라는 얘기다.

    김용현 교수는 '북한이 사고를 신속히 보도한 데는 남측의 세월호 사건과 비교하려는 의도가 담겼을 수 있다'고 분석했다.




  • 1. Woman hides on roof from intruder
  • 2. Naked Gangnam woman fuels 'false rumors'
  • 3. Restaurant added opium to noodles
  • 4. Giant human pyramids in Japan raise concerns
  • 5. Monster truck loses control, kills three
  • 6. Police spot 'ghost' on premises
  • 7. NASA finds perfectly-shaped ball on Mars
  • 8. Mother serves X-rated cookies to class
  • 9. NK rules out talks with S. Korea, US
  • 10. 'Kimchi helped me win the gold'
Copy editors wanted
Experienced reporters wanted