Posted : 2014-02-05 16:33
Updated : 2014-02-05 16:33

Basic Korean proficiency required for spouse visa

By Kim Da-ye

Starting in April, foreigners will be required to have basic capability to communicate with their Korean husbands or wives in the same language to obtain a spousal visa, the Ministry of Justice said Wednesday.

And, in order to invite their foreign spouses to reside in Korea, citizens will need to earn at least 14.8 million won a year.

"We hope to normalize the abnormal interracial marriages in which men and women who cannot even have a conversation tie the knot. We also expect to prevent foreigners from abusing the system by marrying Koreans only to enter the country," the ministry said.

The two new conditions for issuing F-6 spouse visas means more documents will have to be prepared by any Koreans who hope to live here with their non-Korean partners.

Foreigners who apply for an F-6 visa can prove their language proficiency by passing the Level 1 Test of Proficiency in Korean (TOPIK) administered by the state-run National Institute for International Education.

As an alternative, visa applicants will be allowed to complete a beginner course at overseas institutions approved by the justice ministry and Korean embassies. The list of the institutions has yet to be released.

Some foreign spouses will be granted exemptions from the language requirement. They include those with degrees related to Korean language, ethnic Koreans with foreign nationalities and foreigners who lived in Korea for a year or longer in the past.

Married couples who can communicate in languages other than Korean will also be exempted from the requirement. In that case, Korean partners will have to prove that they have lived in their spouses' countries for a year or longer, or that the couples lived together in the same country for a year or longer.

Furthermore, when multicultural couples already have children, they will be granted exemptions for "humanitarian reasons."

The justice ministry pointed out that many international marriages are arranged in four to five days with couples barely knowing each other. Difficulties in communication can lead to domestic violence and even foreign spouses running away, it added.

The ministry will also look at Korean spouses' annual income, when screening a spouse visa application. When a Korean intends to live with his or her spouse only, he or she will have to have an income of 14.8 million won or more before tax in the past year. The more family members an interracial household has, the larger that amount will be.

"Households that make less than 120 percent of the minimum cost of living are subject to state supports. The new policy aims to prevent people from qualifying for state supports by marrying a foreigner," the justice ministry said.

Cho Sou-yong, the president of matchmaking agency Sejan, said in an interview with The Korea Times that the new regulation does not reflect the reality of an international marriage. In order to apply for a spouse visa, a couple must be already married and register their marriage in advance. If foreign spouses do not pass the TOPIK exam or find Korean language institutions near their home, they will be forced to stay away from their husbands or wives for months.

"In Vietnam, TOPIK is administered only twice a year. You need to study a lot to pass the test, and if you fail, you will have to wait for half a year," said Cho.

"Foreign spouses can instead finish a course, but most language institutions are in cities. Most Vietnamese brides married to Koreans come from rural areas."

관련 한글 기사

기본 의사소통 가능해야 외국인에 결혼비자 발급

초청자도 2인 기준 연간소득 1천500만원 넘어야

오는 4월부터 외국인 배우자가 장기체류가 가능한 결혼비자를 발급받기 위해서는 한국어 자격증을 취득하는 등 기본적인 의사소통이 가능하다는 점을 입증해야 한다.

한국인 배우자 역시 최저생계비의 120% 이상의 연간 소득이 있어야만 외국인 배우자를 초청할 수 있다.

법무부는 건전한 국제결혼을 유도하고 결혼이민자가 입국 후 안정적으로 정착할 수 있도록 결혼이민(F-6) 비자발급 심사기준 개선안을 마련해 고시했다고 5일 밝혔다.

정부는 그동안 기본적 의사소통이 불가능하거나 가족부양능력이 부족한 이들이 외국인과 결혼하면서 가정폭력과 배우자 가출 등 여러 사회문제를 노출해 온 현실 등을 감안, 이를 예방하기 위한 차원에서 심사기준 개선안을 마련했다.

개선안은 우선 비자발급 시 결혼 이민자와 한국인 배우자가 기초적인 의사소통이 가능한지를 심사하도록 했다.

교육부 국립국제교육원이 주관하는 한국어능력시험(TOPIK) 초급 1급을 취득하거나 법무부 장관이 승인한 교육기관에서 초급수준의 한국의 교육과정을 이수해야만 결혼비자가 발급된다.

다만 결혼이민자가 한국어 관련 학위가 있거나 과거 1년 이상 한국에서 거주한 적이 있는 경우, 부부가 외국어로 의사소통이 가능한 경우, 부부 사이에 이미 출생한 자녀가 있는 경우에는 한국어 구사요건 적용을 면제해주기로 했다.

개선안은 또 한국인 배우자가 일정 소득요건을 충족할 때만 외국인 배우자를 초청할 수 있도록 했다.

구체적으로 초청자는 비자 신청일 기준 과거 1년 간의 소득(세전)이 가구수별 최저생계비의 120%(차상위계층)에 해당하는 1천479만원(2인 가구 기준)을 넘어야 한다.

초청인이 함께 살고 있는 가족이 있는 경우 구성원수에 따라 금액은 상향되며 최저생계비 변동에 맞춰 매년 조정된다.

다만 충분한 재산이 있는 경우나 가족의 소득 및 재산이 기준 금액을 충족하는 경우, 이미 출생한 자녀가 있는 경우 등은 소득요건 적용이 면제된다.

정부는 오는 4월 1일부터 강화된 심사안을 적용할 계획이다.

법무부 관계자는 '우리나라는 혼인신고제 국가인만큼 앞으로도 국제결혼은 자유롭게 할 수 있다'면서 '다만 혼인을 했더라도 심사기준을 충족하지 못할 경우 국내 장기체류가 가능한 결혼이민 비자를 발급하지 않음으로써 비정상적 국제결혼 문화를 개선하겠다는 것'이라고 설명했다.

  • 1. Health alerts issued as fine dust blankets Korean Peninsula
  • 2. Cameras at brothels cause stir
  • 3. Comfort women were Japan's shocking human rights violations: Lippert
  • 4. Ban Ki-moon haunted by awkward slip-ups
  • 5. Diplomacy dead between Seoul, Tokyo
  • 6. Court denies Samsung chief's arrest for 'lack of evidence'
  • 7. Trump won't give concessions to Korea
  • 8. Moon Jae-in extends lead after Ban's return: poll
  • 9. Former Japan sex slavery victim dies at 94
  • 10. Smartphones to be banned at go matches here