The United Nations' aid group has approved emergency food aid to North Korea to help feed 2.4 million undernourished people in the impoverished communist country, Radio Free Asia (RFA) reported Saturday.
The plan calls for the World Food Program (WFP) to send 206,800 tons of food to North Korea during one year starting from July, the Washington-based radio station said.
The shipment will include nutrition biscuits for some 1.9 million children and nutrition-balanced meals for some 500,000 pregnant women, it said.
The WFP's board meeting, convened in Rome, Italy, approved the plan with a budget of some $137 million, it added.
The decision comes after the aid group conducted a comprehensive assessment of the food situation and prospects for food production in North Korea, the report said.
According to a WFP report released last month, eight out of every 10 North Korean families are suffering malnutrition with little access to protein foods.
In its survey of 87 North Korean families from January to March, the WFP found that 80 percent of them were undernourished mainly due to a lack of protein intake, the report said.

유엔 세계식량계획(WFP)이 다음 달부터 1년간 북한 주민 240만 명에 식량을 지원하는 계획을 승인했다고 미국 자유아시아방송(RFA)이 8일 전했다.
WFP는 이번 주 이탈리아 로마 본부에서 이사회를 열고 이 같은 계획을 승인했다.
프랜시스 케네디 WFP 본부 대변인은 다음 달 1일부터 이사회가 승인한 신규 지원사업이 시작된다면서 'WFP는 내년 6월까지 북한 어린이와 영양이 부족한 임산부 등 240만여 명에 식량을 지원할 계획'이라고 밝혔다.
이번 지원사업은 약 1억 3천700만 달러(약 1천530억 원)의 예산으로 20만 6천800t의 식량을 북한 주민에 지원하며 식량지원은 자강도를 제외한 8개 도와 평양에서 진행된다.
WFP는 85개 시, 군의 약 190만 명의 어린이에게 학교 급식으로 영양비스킷을 지원하고 임산부와 수유모 약 50만 명에게는 출산 후 1년까지 특별혼합식을 제공할 계획이다.
앞서 WFP는 지난해 10월 북한을 방문해 식량 상황을 조사했고 그 결과를 바탕으로 이번에 식량 지원 지역과 대상을 선정했다.