Cell phone maker employee booked for trade secret leak
Korean police said Sunday they have booked a former salesman of U.S. phone maker Motorola on charges of leaking its trade secrets after he moved to rival companies.
The Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency said the 38-year-old Korean, surnamed Kim, was booked without physical detention for allegedly using trade secrets about Motorola's latest cell phones after he moved to Taiwanese phone maker HTC in April last year.
Police suspect Kim also obtained information about 1,000 Motorola phone stores and 18,000 employees from his former colleague, who was also booked without physical detention on the same charge.
After working for HTC for four months, Kim moved to U.S. technology giant Apple, where he took advantage of trade secrets of the two cell phone companies he had previously worked for, officials said.
Police said they have launched the investigation at the request of Motorola, which claimed 100 billion won ($87.6 million) in damages caused by the alleged leak.
"It seems that the crimes were committed by the individuals. We haven't found evidence that the rival companies were involved in the alleged leak," a senior official at the agency said. (Yonhap)