my timesThe Korea Times

GNP staffer gave money to website attacker

Listen

By Na Jeong-ju

The owner of an Internet firm that attacked the websites of the country’s election watchdog and an opposition candidate during the Oct. 26 by-elections received 100 million won ($86,500) from an aide to National Assembly Speaker Park Hee-tae, police said Wednesday.

Police said they don’t know yet whether the money was delivered in return for the attack, but the revelation suggests the possible involvement of the ruling Grand National Party (GNP) in the crime.

Park, also a former GNP chairman denied his involvement, but the case has already dealt a severe setback to their party.

Police are also under fire for “concealing” the money transfer between key suspects when they announced the interim result of the investigation on Dec. 9.

They are also facing public criticism for having gone easy on figures with political backgrounds when examining the case.

Source of money

It was found out that a Cheong Wa Dae staffer dined with Park’s secretary as well as the secretaries of GNP lawmakers Gong Sung-jin and Chung Doo-un one day before the attack, an indication of the presidential office’s possible involvement.

Police last week referred the case to the prosecution for further investigation. Prosecutors said they are tracking down the source of the money.

Opposition parties have questioned the fairness of the police’s probe, demanding an investigation by the National Assembly or a probe by a special counsel to get to the bottom of the incident.

“Police’s belated revelation of the financial transaction suggests that they attempted to cover up the truth,” said Lee Yong-sup, spokesman of the main opposition Democratic Party. “Their lenient handling of criminal suspects tied to the ruling camp has also prompted public anger. Their acts are unforgivable.”

According to police, the Internet firm owner, identified as Kang, 25, received 10 million won from a secretary of Rep. Park days before the by-election through an aide to Rep. Choi Gu-sik, the former public relations manager for the GNP.

Park’s secretary paid an additional 90 million won to Kang right after the attack on the websites of the National Election Commission (NEC) and the unified opposition candidate in Seoul’s mayoral race, Park Won-soon.

Choi’s secretary, Gong Hyun-min, 27, reportedly told investigators that he had believed the attack would help GNP candidate Na Kyung-won and his boss as well. Choi was one of Na’s key campaigners for the by-elections. Na ultimately lost to the opposition candidate Park in the election.

Police said Gong confessed to the crime, but denied the involvement of others from the governing camp.