• Site Map
  • PDF
  • Subscription
  • Register
  • LogIn
  • Site Map
  • PDF
  • Subscription
  • Register
  • LogIn
National
  • Politics
  • Foreign Affairs
  • Embassy News
  • Defense Affairs
  • Foreign Communities
  • Investigations
  • Oddly Enough
  • Diseases & welfare
  • Labor & environment
  • Education
  • Seoul & provinces
  • Obituaries
  • Photo News
Fri, September 1, 2017 | 15:38
      • North Korea
      • Entertainment
        • Music
        • Dramas & TV shows
        • Movies
        • Performances
        • Exhibitions
        • Photo News
      • Opinion
        • Editorial
        • Columnists
          • Park Moo-jong
          • Choi Sung-jin
          • Tong Kim
          • Lee Seong-hyon
          • Andrew Salmon
          • John Burton
          • Jason Lim
          • Donald Kirk
          • Kim Ji-myung
          • Andrei Lankov
          • Michael Breen
          • Frank Ching
          • Hyon O'Brien
          • Younghoy Kim Kimaro
          • Michael McManus
          • Deauwand Myers
          • Bernard Rowan
          • Casey Lartigue, Jr.
          • Stephen Costello
          • Semoon Chang
          • Korean Historical Sense
        • Reporter's Notebook
        • Guest Column
        • Thoughts of the Times
        • Letter to the Editor
        • Times Forum
        • Cartoon
        • Today in History
      • Feature
        • Image of Korea
        • Small Picture
      • Economy
        • Policies
        • Finance
        • Photo News
      • Biz & Tech
        • Automotive
        • IT
        • Heavy industries
        • Light industries
        • Science
        • Game
        • Photo News
      • National
        • Politics
        • Foreign Affairs
        • Embassy News
        • Defense Affairs
        • Foreign Communities
        • Investigations
        • Oddly Enough
        • Diseases & welfare
        • Labor & environment
        • Education
        • Seoul & provinces
        • Obituaries
        • Photo News
      • Culture
        • Books
        • Religions
        • Healthcare
        • Food
        • Fortune Telling
        • Hotel & Travel
        • Fashion
        • Korean Traditions
        • Trend
        • Photo News
      • Sports
        • Football
        • Baseball
        • Golf
        • Other Sports
        • 2018 PyeongChang
        • Photo News
      • World
        • SCMP
        • Asia Pacific
        • Americas
        • Europe
        • Middle East
        • Africa
      • Community
        • Time Forum
        • Market Place
        • Talk Box
        • Study Plaza
      • Photos
      • Learning English
    KEDO to demand NK pay $1.89 billion in losses for reactors
    Posted : 2011-11-14 16:56
    Updated : 2011-11-14 16:56
    By Kim Young-jin

    An international consortium tasked to build two light-water reactors in North Korea earlier this decade will soon demand the Stalinist state hand over $1.89 billion to compensate for losses incurred by the failed project, an officials here said Monday.

    The demand by the Korean Peninsula Energy Development Organization (KEDO) is the latest in a back-and-forth debate over the project once considered a sign of progress toward the North’s denuclearization. In September, Pyongyang claimed it was owed $5.8 billion for financial losses sustained during the initiative.

    The wrangling also comes as part of increased regional dialogue as players try to resume long-stalled multilateral talks on Pyongyang’s denuclearization.

    KEDO, comprised of South Korea, Japan and the United States, agreed in 1994 to build two 1,000-megawatt light-water reactors in the North as part of a denuclearization-for-aid deal between Washington and Pyongyang. But the project fell apart in 2006 amid U.S. suspicions that the isolated state was operating a uranium-enrichment program that could provide a second path toward building nuclear weapons.

    A government official said on condition of anonymity that KEDO has sent a letter to the North each year requesting it to pay for the losses incurred by its breach of the agreement.

    “North Korea has given no response, and its sudden claim for compensation is completely unacceptable. KEDO plans to send an official reply in the coming days,” the official said.

    The North walked out of the six-party denuclearization talks ― which also include Russia and China ― in 2009 over international sanctions for its missile and nuclear tests. Last year, it upped the ante for their resumption by revealing the uranium program and twice waging deadly attacks on the South.

    Tensions have cooled somewhat since July, when the two Koreas sat down for surprise denuclearization talks that led to similar meetings between Washington and Pyongyang that aimed to resume the multilateral format.

    Seoul and Washington want the North to halt the uranium program and allow for international verification of the move among other steps before coming back to the table, while Pyongyang insists the talks should start without preconditions.

    Analysts are skeptical over whether the North will ever give up the weapons program that is its claim to deterrence and greatest bargaining chip. But they say regional players want to resume the talks as a way to provide stability to the economically-vibrant region.

    The North, meanwhile, is seen to be using all possible means to secure aid ahead of next year, when it has pledged it will emerge as a “strong and prosperous nation.”
    yjk@koreatimes.co.krMore articles by this reporter


    • Female teacher arrested for having sex with 12 year-old student
    • Woman cuts off husband's penis
    • Are Asian men 'undateable'? [VIDEO]
    • Queer festival vote turns contentious
    • N. Korean leader's eldest child is a boy: spy agency
    • KBS MBC to begin strike on Monday
    • Korea misses chance to qualify for World Cup
    • Moon, Abe agree 'extreme' pressure on North Korea
    • British Embassy returns street along Deoksu Palace to public
    • N. Korea leader hints at more missile launches
    • Art class

    • Border inspection

    • Civil defense drill

    • Generals' meeting

    • Tribute to ex-liberal leader

    • People's Party race

    • Moon with Gwangju hero's wife

    • Intelligent air conditioner

    • Submarine inspection

    • Helping flood victims

    Gimje Horizon Festival
    • About Korea Times
    • CEO Message
    • Times History
    • Contents Distribution
    • Media Kit
    • Contact Us
    • Location
    • Privacy Statement
    • Ombudsman
    • Mobile Service
    • PDF Service
    • RSS Service