The Korea Times close
National
  • Politics
  • Foreign Affairs
  • Multicultural Community
  • Defense
  • Environment & Animals
  • Law & Crime
  • Society
  • Health & Science
Business
  • Tech
  • Bio
  • Companies
Finance
  • Companies
  • Economy
  • Markets
  • Cryptocurrency
Opinion
  • Editorial
  • Columns
  • Thoughts of the Times
  • Cartoon
  • Today in History
  • Blogs
  • Tribune Service
  • Blondie & Garfield
  • Letter to President
  • Letter to the Editor
Lifestyle
  • Travel & Food
  • Trends
  • People & Events
  • Books
  • Around Town
  • Fortune Telling
Entertainment
& Arts
  • K-pop
  • Films
  • Shows & Dramas
  • Music
  • Theater & Others
Sports
World
  • SCMP
  • Asia
Video
  • Culture
  • People
  • News
Photos
  • Photo News
  • Darkroom
  • The Korea Times
  • search
  • Site Map
  • E-paper
  • Subscribe
  • Register
  • LogIn
search close
  • The Korea Times
  • search
  • Site Map
  • E-paper
  • Subscribe
  • Register
  • LogIn
search close
National
  • Politics
  • Foreign Affairs
  • Multicultural Community
  • Defense
  • Environment & Animals
  • Law & Crime
  • Society
  • Health & Science
Mon, August 8, 2022 | 08:05
No Particular N. Korean Moves in West Sea
Posted : 2009-11-11 11:38
Updated : 2009-11-11 11:38
Print Preview
Font Size Up
Font Size Down
South Korea Wednesday denied allegations that a pair of North Korean naval boats approached the western maritime border where the navies of the two countries exchanged gunfire a day earlier.

"There is no particular situation developing. The waves are high, also forcing fishing vessels to stay off the waters," Park Sung-woo, spokesman for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was quoted as telling reporters by Yonhap News Agency.

The allegations that two North Korean vessels closed in on the boundary early Wednesday morning had circulated in South Korea's financial and government circles.

On Tuesday, the navies of the two Koreas engaged for the first time in seven years near the border in the West Sea. The North Korean patrol boat retreated in flames while the South Korean side suffered no casualties, officials in Seoul said. It was the third such skirmish south of the Northern Limit Line after 1999 and 2002.

"There has been no sign of retaliatory moves by the North," Kim Sung-hwan, a South Korean presidential security aide, told Yonhap by telephone early Wednesday. South Korean President Lee Myung-bak had expressed concern over another possible attack by the North.

Won Tae-jae, South Korea's Defense Ministry spokesperson, said he could not confirm media reports that one North Korean sailor had been killed and three wounded in the battle that lasted two minutes.

"The reports carried material that cannot be confirmed," he said.
 
LG
  • Citizens excited about refurbished Gwanghwamun Square
  • DSME hit with $970-million lawsuit from Japanese oil company
  • [INTERVIEW] 'Taiwan is part of China,' says Chinese ambassador
  • The fate of Sontag Hotel
  • Hyundai aims to develop own automotive semiconductors
  • Gov't considers slashing tariffs on imported produce ahead of Chuseok
  • KAI, Hanwha, SK, Hyundai Rotem contribute to Danuri project
  • Woori Bank to invest $7.7 million in 10 promising startups
  • 'Gov't should help manufacturers digitize fast to overcome global supply chain risks'
  • Envoy wary of creating Asian version of NATO
  • Interactive News
  • With tough love,
  • 'Santa dogs' help rebuild burnt forests in Andong
  • 'Santa dogs' help rebuild burnt forests in Andong
    • Brad Pitt to visit Korea to promote new film 'Bullet Train' Brad Pitt to visit Korea to promote new film 'Bullet Train'
    • [INTERVIEW] Jung Woo-sung was initially hesitant to take on role in 'Hunt' [INTERVIEW] Jung Woo-sung was initially hesitant to take on role in 'Hunt'
    • Hallyu research should be conducted beyond Korean perspective: scholars Hallyu research should be conducted beyond Korean perspective: scholars
    • 'The Red Sleeve' director debuts new thriller 'The Red Sleeve' director debuts new thriller
    • OTT platforms struggle amid declining number of users OTT platforms struggle amid declining number of users
    DARKROOM
    • Ice is melting, land is burning

      Ice is melting, land is burning

    • Tottenham 6-3 Team K League

      Tottenham 6-3 Team K League

    • Afghanistan earthquake killed more than 1,000

      Afghanistan earthquake killed more than 1,000

    • Divided America reacts to overturn of Roe vs. Wade

      Divided America reacts to overturn of Roe vs. Wade

    • Namaste: Yogis to celebrate International Yoga Day

      Namaste: Yogis to celebrate International Yoga Day

    The Korea Times
    CEO & Publisher : Oh Young-jin
    Digital News Email : webmaster@koreatimes.co.kr
    Tel : 02-724-2114
    Online newspaper registration No : 서울,아52844
    Date of registration : 2020.02.05
    Masthead : The Korea Times
    Copyright © koreatimes.co.kr. All rights reserved.
    • About Us
    • Introduction
    • History
    • Location
    • Media Kit
    • Contact Us
    • Products & Service
    • Subscribe
    • E-paper
    • Mobile Service
    • RSS Service
    • Content Sales
    • Policy
    • Privacy Statement
    • Terms of Service
    • 고충처리인
    • Youth Protection Policy
    • Code of Ethics
    • Copyright Policy
    • Family Site
    • Hankook Ilbo
    • Dongwha Group