Thu, October 19, 2017 | 17:56
 
alt
Posted : 2017-09-25 17:10
Updated : 2017-09-26 13:58

Gov't scraps guidelines on easier layoffs

By Yoon Ja-young

Kim Young-joo
Labor Minister
The Ministry of Labor has scrapped controversial guidelines adopted during the previous administration, which allowed companies to fire workers more easily.

"The two guidelines lacked sufficient consultation with labor and management, and there was no social consensus, either," Labor Minister Kim Young-joo said at a meeting with the heads of employment and labor centers around the country, Monday.

The controversial guidelines adopted during the former Park Geun-hye administration allowed businesses to easily lay off underperforming workers and change employment rules.

According to the country's Labor Standards Act, businesses can fire workers in either of two cases — commiting serious crimes such as corruption and embezzlement; and for managerial reasons such as serious financial difficulties.

The guidelines, however, allowed firing of underperforming workers if they don't get better after training and relocation. While it allowed employers to cut labor costs, unions raised concerns over job security.

The guidelines also allowed companies to change or introduce employment rules if the change was "socially acceptable," without the consent of unions or a majority of the workers.

The unilateral adoption of the two guidelines in January 2016 prompted the Federation of Korean Trade Unions (FKTU), the nation's largest and relatively mild umbrella union, to quit the Tripartite Commission of labor, management and government. It thus lost its function as a conversation tool between labor and management, since the Korean Confederation of Trade Unions (KCTU), which is more aggressive, had already quit the committee back in 1999.

The FKTU demanded that the two guidelines be abolished before it returned to the committee. The abolition was somewhat expected since it was an election pledge of President Moon Jae-in. Minister Kim also said at a confirmation hearing that the guidelines would be abolished.

She pointed out that they caused conflict since they were adopted without social consensus. The guidelines led to conflict and lawsuits between labor and management in their application. For instance, one third of government-owned enterprises adopted a merit-based salary system without the consent of unions, but many of them are currently going through legal disputes.

"I hope the abolition of the guidelines will open the door for the resumption of conversation," Kim said, hoping the unions will return to the tripartite committee.

The two umbrella unions welcomed the abolition.

"The scrapping of the guidelines was essential to regain trust between labor and the government, as well as for society which respects labor," a spokesman for the FKTU said. However, he said that the government should make efforts to guarantee labor rights first.

The KCTU also welcomed it. "We expect it to be the first step to undo wrongdoings (by the previous administration) in the labor sector," its spokesman said.

"The guidelines were illegal in themselves, but they were more aimed at incapacitating unions and destroying workers' rights."

At the meeting with the media held the same day, the labor minister stressed that the abolition of the guidelines doesn't mean the labor market will become more inflexible.

"If you look at statistics, irregular jobs make up more than half of the employment in Korea. There are dispatched workers, for instance, but the administration regards it as a necessary form of employment in some industries. Not all industries can adopt regular workers," she said, adding that there should be further discussions regarding flexibility.




관련 한글 기사

정부 '쉬운 해고·취업규칙 변경완화' 양대지침 폐기

박근혜정부의 '노동개혁' 핵심…1년 8개월만에 폐기 처분

고용부 '사회적 혼란 초래 극심'…사회적 대화 복원 기대

김영주 장관 '산재 예방·부당노동행위 근절' 당부

 

정부가 저성과자 해고를 허용하고 취업규칙 변경 요건을 완화하는 내용을 담고 있는 이른바 박근혜 정부의 '노동개혁' 핵심인 양대 지침을 공식 폐기했다.

고용노동부는 25일 오전 정부세종청사 대회의실에서 김영주 장관 주재로 47개 산하 기관장들이 참석한 가운데 첫 전국 기관장 회의를 열고 이같이 결정했다.

이로써 박근혜 정부가 지난해 1월 전격 발표해 노동계가 '쉬운 해고'와 '노동 개악'이라고 강하게 반발해왔던 양대 지침은 1년 8개월 만에 사라지게 됐다.

양대 지침이란 '공정인사 지침'과 '취업규칙 해석 및 운영에 관한 지침'을 말한다. 공정인사 지침은 저성과자 해고를 가능하도록 '일반해고'를 허용하는 게 핵심 내용이다.

취업규칙 해석 및 운영에 관한 지침은 사업주가 노동자에 불리한 근로조건을 도입할 때 노조나 노동자 과반 동의를 받도록 한 법규를 완화하는 내용을 담고 있다.

이에 한국노총은 지난해 1월 22일 정부의 양대 지침 도입 발표에 반발해 노사정위에서 탈퇴했다. 이후 양대 지침 폐기를 강하게 요구하면서 노정 대화를 위한 선결 과제 중 하나로 내걸었다.

고용부는 회의에서 양대 지침 도입 과정에서 노사 간 충분한 협의가 부족했고, 사회적 공감대를 형성하지 못한 채 일방적으로 추진돼 한국노총의 노사정위 탈퇴 등 노정 갈등을 초래했다고 밝혔다.

게다가 양대 지침 적용 과정에서도 노사 갈등, 민·형사상 소송 등 혼란이 지속돼 폐기를 결정했다고 설명했다.

고용부에 따르면 공공기관 254개와 지방공기업 중 80곳(31%)은 노사 합의 없이 성과연봉제를 이사회 의결 등을 통해 추진했고, 현재 수십 건의 민·형사상 소송이 진행중이다.

실제로 새 정부 출범 이후 양대 지침 폐기는 시간 문제였다. 문재인 대통령이 대선 공약으로 양대 지침 폐기를 내세운 데다, 김영주 고용부 장관도 인사 청문회에서 이를 약속했기 때문이다.

고용부 관계자는 '양대 지침 폐기로 사회적 대화 복원의 물꼬가 트일 수 있을 것으로 기대한다'고 말했다

고용부는 또 이날 회의에서 국민의 생명·안전과 직결되는 산업재해 예방, 부당노동행위 근절, 임금체불 방지·청산 등 3대 현안 과제 해결 외에 근로감독 부조리 근절에도 주력하기로 했다.

아울러 공공부문 비정규직의 정규직 전환 과정에서 발생할 수 있는 갈등을 최대한 줄이도록 지방관서가 현장 지도와 지원에 적극 나서기로 했다.

김 장관은 '내주부터 시작되는 추석 연휴를 맞아 체불 노동자들이 생겨나지 않도록 만전을 기하고, 하반기에는 고용센터 중심으로 일자리 발굴에 나서고 일자리 사업을 차질 없이 시행해달라'고 강조했다.

그는 '내년도 시간당 최저임금 7천530원 인상과 관련해 현장 의견수렴과 모니터링에 신경 써주고, 전국 10곳에 설치된 현장노동청에 제안·진성서 및 상담 4천여 건이 접수된 만큼 정책에 반영될 수 있도록 노력해달라'고 당부했다.

이어 '청년들이 새 정부의 청년 일자리 사업을 충분히 인지할 수 있도록 밀착형 정책홍보에 나서달라'면서 '이를 위해 노동·일자리 현안을 챙기기 위해 각종 지표들을 한눈에 볼 수 있는 디지털 상황판을 집무실에 설치 중'이라고 덧붙였다.(연합)