Rice With Mix of Vegetables (Bibimbap)
By Kim Yong-ja
This is the most versatile dish in Korean cooking. The word "bibim" comes from the action of the ingredients rubbing with each other when you mix them. There are endless possibilities for toppings.
The beauty of this dish is that you can prepare all the seasonal vegetables in advance and serve at room temperature. All you need to do is to cook the rice one hour before you want to serve it. You can add or reduce the number of vegetables as you wish. It's up to your imagination.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
• 10 1/2 oz/300g ASIAN RADISH, cut into fine strips
• 1 tablespoon ``GOCHUGARU" (fine chili powder)
• 1 tablespoon RICE VINEGAR
• 1 bunch SPINACH, blanched
• 1 pack BEAN SPROUTS, cooked in boiling water for 1-2 minutes
• 1/2 cube MUNG BEAN JELLY, cut into fine strips
• 1/2 cube ACORN JELLY, cut into fine strips
• 2 medium CARROTS, cut into fine strips, stir-fried with oil
• 1 pack SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS, sliced and stir-fried with oil
• VEGETABLE OIL
• 2 cups RICE
• 4 EGGS, cooked sunny side over
• ``CHOGOCHUJANG" (Hot and Sweet Vinaigrette): see ``Chamchi Whe"
• 3 tablespoons SOY SAUCE
• 4 tablespoons SESAME OIL
• 1 teaspoon SESAME SEEDS
• 1 GARLIC CLOVE, crushed fine
1 Sprinkle salt over radish strips and let sit for 1/2 hour 1/2 Squeeze out excess water holding them in your palms. Then season with 1 tablespoon gochugaru (fine chili powder), 1 tablespoon rice vinegar and 2 teaspoons sugar.
2 Prepare all the other vegetables and season lightly with salt and pepper.
3 Cook the rice. While the rice is cooling, prepare chogochujang and mild sauce. Then fry the eggs. Spread the rice into individual bowls. Rice should be at room temperature (but not cold) when you serve.
4 Arrange the vegetables and the eggs over the rice. Serve with the two sauces on the side.