By Kim Yong-ja
It is amazing how our ancestors made a dish out of this. It is important to soak the jellyfish strips in sugar and vinegar water to get rid of the slightly rubbery smell. Good quality imitation crab meat can be shredded fine, which works very well in this dish. You need to start the preparation of jellyfish a day in advance.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
• 1 lb/455g SALTED JELLYFISH,
• 10 oz/285g after washing
• 1 1/2 cups WATER
• 1/4 cup SUGAR
• 3 tablespoons RICE VINEGAR (or white wine vinegar)
• 1 dozen medium SHRIMP, washed with shells
• 1 1/2 cup WHITE WINE
• 4 oz/113g IMITATION CRAB MEAT, defrosted and shredded
• 1 GARLIC CLOVE, crushed a handful of SALAD GREES
• 1 small CUCUMBER, cut into 2"/5cm lengthwise and cut into fine strips
• 1/2 ASIAN PEAR, cut into fine strips
• 1 1/2tablespoons SESAME OIL
• A dash of LEMON JUICE 1/3 ³teaspoon SALT
• MUSTARD PASTE: 4 tablespoons MUSTARD POWDER (or wasabi)
4 tablespoons WATER o
1 Wash the salted jellyfish with warm water and drain. Soak the jellyfish in a mixture of 1½ cups water, ¼ cup sugar and 3 tablespoons vinegar overnight. The following day, squeeze out the excess liquid by pressing them in your hands.
2 Cut the back of the shrimp shells with scissors and remove intestines (the dark lines). Cook the shrimp in boiling wine for 2 minutes until the shells turn pink. Let cool. Peel the shells and cut the shrimp in half lengthwise. Prepare the crab meat.
3 To prepare the paste, mix the mustard powder (or wasabi) with water in a small bowl. Keep it covered for 15 minutes to develop a spicy flavor.
4 Rub a serving platter with the crushed garlic and discard the remains. Arrange the jellyfish, shrimp, crab meat, salad greens, cucumber and pear on a platter. Add sesame oil, lemon juice and salt to half of the mustard paste. Add more mustard paste according to the spiciness you want. 5 Sprinkle the mixture over the dish and mix well before serving.